Certain rolls of film not advancing in Canon 814

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certain rolls of film not advancing in Canon 814

I recently shot eight rolls of film over the span of a month, and with two of those rolls, experienced the problem of the film not advancing past a certain point. The camera is a Canon Auto Zoom 814. Writing here to help troubleshoot and diagnose what the problem might be.

My first three rolls were completely normal and fine. While shooting my fourth roll, perhaps 1/4 of the way through, the camera motor began to slow down, stutter and stop. I assume the batteries were dying, as I had been shooting on this pair for quite some time. I put in fresh batteries, and shot until what I believed to be the end of the roll, according to the footage counter. However, the film did not read "exposed", and had not gone to the end of the roll. I let the camera roll for a bit, thinking maybe the footage counter and end of the roll were not exactly aligned, but after a very long time, still no "exposed". I also noticed one sprocket had torn. I got a Sharpie, marked the roll, and indeed it did not advance. I then took out a fresh roll and marked it with a Sharpie. This roll advanced without a problem, and I shot it, along with two other rolls, with success, reaching the end of the roll at the same time as the footage counter.

The next roll, after the previous two successful ones, the same problem occurred. At the 50' footage counter mark, I opened the camera to put in a new roll, and noticed it did not read "exposed". I again let the camera roll for a bit, hoping to reach the end, but it did not. The next day, I marked the roll with a sharpie...and this time it DID advance. I finished shooting the roll. I then shot another roll, and it worked fine.

So, two problematic rolls interspersed among six other successful ones. The first problem roll I abandoned after the Sharpie test, so when I watch the footage, it is just a short roll. Everything after the point at which it stopped advancing is black. The second problematic roll did not advance for the first few hours when I was shooting. So what would have been the beginning of the roll did not come out. Eventually, however, the film does advance, and is correctly exposed. There are a few shots that came out which I shot right before realizing that the end of the roll had not been reached when it should have according to the footage counter. Then, the rest of the roll shot totally fine.

Can anyone help me diagnose the problem based on the above account? All of the film is new Kodak Echtachrome, save for one roll of new Kodak Tri-X, purchased on the same order from the same retailer that I always use. I am wondering if the problem was with those particular rolls, or if this is indicative of a slowly failing camera? Are there any tests I can do to narrow it down? The most confusing part to me is how it was just two rolls out of several, and they were not concentrated towards the end of my shooting period, but rather randomly interspersed. Makes me think it was a problem with the rolls, perhaps the tension was off in them or something, but who knows. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

I've had one cartridge of film jam in about 40 years of shooting Super-8, and it was 100D, and I've seen reviews of it on the 'net complaining of this too, so there's a decent chance it's not your camera.

I just shot two rolls of 100D without trouble, but this issue was in the back of my mind while I was doing it. (Then again, it ain't over 'til the film comes back from the lab!)

(I seem to recall years ago people slapping the cartridges to free them up.)

Comment

I've had this problem before in certain cameras of 100d jamming or slowing. The answer is to shake the cartridge for about a minute before placing in the camera.

Comment

I shoot about 4 or 5 rolls of the new Ektachrome 100D 7294 each year. I started using this new stock when it was released in 2018. Since then I've had several carts jam or bring the camera motor to a complete stop. Recently there have been numerous reports of this problem online from other users. The jams have been with both EKtachrome and Tri-X. Kodak is aware of the issue and are working to correct it. I'm told it has to do with the carts themselves. My understanding is Kodak is retooling, and adding a new machine that will produce these plastic carts to better standards. I've read the machine they use now is older and probably passed it's prime. I'm on vacation as I type this, and just shot 2 carts of Ektachrome 7294 and they both ran beautifully in my Elmo Super 110, and Yashica 50XL. Before I load carts into the camera I first pull about 2 inches out with my fingers, and manually roll the film back in using the turn spindle on the cart. This has worked every time and verifies that the film is transporting properly through the cart. I also shot a roll of Ektachrome 7294 back in May and that also ran flawlessly through the camera.
        I've read over the years anyone experiencing this issue with any of the Super 8 films sold by Kodak can contact them. I've read they will in most cases send you new film. The new Ektachrome is a beautiful stock projected. Expensive, as you know, but worth the investment when you get such nice colors, and sharpness on screen. I have found, as many others have as well, this new stock likes a bit more light. I expose using the +1 f stop when filming.

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I've shot close to thirty rolls of the new Ektachrome in the last few years, and my only trouble has been the two rolls on this last shoot, so naturally I started to think perhaps it was the camera. Going to clean my camera thoroughly and get another roll or two, try the shaking trick, shoot and see what happens. Since I was shooting while traveling, another thing I thought was that perhaps the rolls were compromised in some way by being in several different climates, without refrigeration, for some time before their use?

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Schaus View Post
            Thanks for the replies! I've shot close to thirty rolls of the new Ektachrome in the last few years, and my only trouble has been the two rolls on this last shoot, so naturally I started to think perhaps it was the camera. Going to clean my camera thoroughly and get another roll or two, try the shaking trick, shoot and see what happens. Since I was shooting while traveling, another thing I thought was that perhaps the rolls were compromised in some way by being in several different climates, without refrigeration, for some time before their use?
            It's possible the different climates caused the carts to jam, but my hunch is they were defective. Also I wouldn't recommend banging the carts. I used to do this as well but was told by someone in the hobby this does more harm than good. As I mentioned above, my trick these days has been to pull a small amount of film out, then hand wind it back into the cart. This allows the film to free-wheel a bit, and it indicates the film is rolling and not jammed in the cartridge. However, there's always the possibility the film can jam halfway through a shoot.
            Jimmy I assume your batteries were fresh at the time? I only ask because I've had this problem in the past. Weak batteries equals weak motor. So I'm curious do you apply more exposure when shooting 7294? And also do you project your films? I've never understood why people do digital transfers of Super 8 and never watch them on a projector. They're missing out on the true beauty of color reversal film!

Comment

Working...
            X