Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CineSea 25 Coming Soon with a Special Screening!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CineSea 25 Coming Soon with a Special Screening!

September, 2009. John Black started a thread on the Grand Old Forum with the title “A Film Convention In Wildwood, NJ. Any Interest?"

What is it?
    It is an event that is solely for film collectors. All gauges will be represented. No more will you have to fight past crowds surrounding a washed up 70s sitcom star, or pass miles of dealer tables filled with action figures, toys and other items unrelated to film. This is about 8mm, 16mm, 35mm film and equipment. It’s a chance for collectors to get together for a weekend of buying, swapping, showing and talking about films.

That show took place on December 5th & 6th of 2009. In under two months (Thursday, October 6 - Sunday, October 9th) the 25th CineSea Film Collectors Gathering is happening. It’s finally time to get back together and enjoy all things film.

13 years later…What is it?

CineSea is more of an intimate gathering than a convention. It's a group of people getting together to share their love of film. The weekend is spent watching, buying, selling, trading film and film equipment. To me, the best part is hanging out and talking about film with fellow collectors, along with going out for as many group breakfasts and dinners as possible!

Thursday

CineSea has expanded from its original format. We now start on Thursday evening with the cleverly(!) titled Thursday Night Theme. Similar to our Saturday night show, this is a screening of short films brought by attendees. The difference here is that these shorts fall under a particular theme. Last time it was crime & mystery films…. which genre will get the nod this time? That will be revealed the first week of September.

Friday

We started our Friday Night Feature in 2015. A month before the show, people nominate prized titles from their collections and the highest vote-getter gets screened on Friday night. The second place film is shown on Friday afternoon. This time, we’ve scheduled something special for that evening.

In honor of our 25th show, Documentary Filmmaker Peter Flynn (Blazing The Trail, The Dying Of The Light) will screen his latest work “Viva Film!” as an advanced work-in-progress. CineSea regulars have seen Peter filming this celebration of the world of film collecting at our recent gatherings, and I’m thrilled that we’ll get an early look at his latest work about a subject close to all of our hearts. There will be a Q&A after the screening.

The Friday Matinee will take place as usual.

Saturday

Dealer day! Film, supplies and equipment in multiple gauges! A profusion of projectors perpetually projecting prints!
    Dealer tables are available for only $30 each. To reserve a table you can email/PM me or Lou Franchetti.

We are working on a Saturday group dinner. Details will be announced at the show.

Upon our return from dinner we start our Saturday night screenings, where people bring films that they'd like to share (with a running time of 20 minutes or less) in Standard 8, Super 8, 16mm or 35mm. In the past the screenings have run as late (early?) as 2 AM.

Sunday

We start breaking down (in so many ways), however this is the last chance to pick up some film at the dealer tables.

Let’s not forget the “Sea” in CineSea. A big part of what makes this get-together so enjoyable is the location. We are right next to a beautiful beach and near a great boardwalk and an amusement park! Mariner’s Amusement Pier will be open Friday night, Saturday and Sunday. We are also 40 minutes away from Atlantic City.

John Black & Shorty Caruso started CineSea because they felt that the film collector deserves an affordable show (Admission is free) to both promote camaraderie and keep this hobby going. Lou Franchetti and I stepped in after John passed away in 2011. To every person who has come to the show, to every person who brought a film to screen, to every person who shared their love of movies, Shorty, Lou and I thank you and we are truly grateful. You are the reason we’ve made it to our 25th show!

If you can join us (and we hope you can), hotel information can be found here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	logoCineSea.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.5 KB ID:	64809

The stuff that dreams are made of... Shorty

Comment

It's good, clean fun!

What I love about it is how we've grown from a bunch of internet-strangers to a real group, where people are welcomed, and even missed when they can't be there.

Comment

We're now 3 weeks away from CineSea 25 and we've added a presentation on Friday afternoon by award-winning producer, author and motion picture archivist Bob Furmanek. He has recently finished a stunning restoration of the Abbott and Costello 1952 Jack and the Beanstalk. Bob will talk about working from 35mm Super CineColor elements and the difficulties involved with restoring a CineColor film. We'll then have a screening of this now dazzling looking A&C comedy.

Click image for larger version  Name:	BEANSTALK ROXY POSTER 27x40.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.4 KB ID:	65872

Comment

The nominations for the Friday Matinee screening are in. 11 titles have been submitted and we'll see who wins!

AIRPORT - 1970 (16mm IB Tech, Scope)

GHIDRAH, THE THRE HEADED MONSTER - 1964 (16mm Flat, LPP)

A HARD DAY'S NIGHT - 1964 (16mm Flat, B&W)

THE HORROR OF PARTY BEACH - 1964 (16mm Flat, B&W)

JAWS - 1975 (16mm Scope, LPP)

LOVE AT FIRST BITE - 1979 (16mm Flat, Low Fade Agfa)

OLD YELLER - 1957 (16mm Flat, LPP)

OLIVER! - 1968 (35mm Scope, IB Tech)

REAL GENIUS - 1985 (16mm Flat, LPP)

SAFETY LAST - 1923 (Super 8mm Flat, B&W)

THE UNSEEN - 1980 (35mm Flat, Color)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Friday 25.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	430.6 KB
ID:	66065

Comment

I was asked the other day " Why do you go to Cinesea ? " . My reply was " do you have 2 hours of your time to listen just why ? " . They abruptly shut their mouth .

Comment

Thank you, David!

The people that come to CineSea are really a wonderful group that enjoy attending the screenings & checking out the dealer tables, however I think what they like most is just having the opportunity to hang out with fellow film enthusiasts.

Comment

That is a mouth-watering list of contenders for the matinee. For me, it would have to be the IB Tech Airport or the IB Tech Oliver 😁. Enjoy folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas Meltzer View Post
                  We're now 3 weeks away from CineSea 25 and we've added a presentation on Friday afternoon by award-winning producer, author and motion picture archivist Bob Furmanek. He has recently finished a stunning restoration of the Abbott and Costello 1952 Jack and the Beanstalk. Bob will talk about working from 35mm Super CineColor elements and the difficulties involved with restoring a CineColor film. We'll then have a screening of this now dazzling looking A&C comedy.

Click image for larger version Name:	BEANSTALK ROXY POSTER 27x40.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.4 KB ID:	65872
                  Wow, this is really special. Will this be shown in 35MM?

Comment

Alan,

Bob will be supplying a digital file for his presentation. We will have a 16mm LPP print of the pre-restoration version handy, if that should help with the comparison.

I do hope everyone will sing along with Lou Costello on "I Fear Nothing".

I fear nothing when I am in the right!
                    Who ever pushes me around will find me full of fight!

Comment

The voting for the Friday Matinee Feature is done and the winner is the 35mm print of The Unseen!

Name:	The Unseen.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	66449
                      Spooky films do well in the October show.

Comment

So how did your convention go? .

Name:	23622264_841943675976606_504651205891033460_n.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	66972

Comment

I must have had a great time since I slept less than ever before! I don't want to spoil the upcoming picture essays, but I will say we had more earlybirds than ever and the Friday presentations were outstanding. Our Saturday night screening wrapped up at 1 AM!
                          A huge thank you to everyone who attended.

Comment

Working...
                          X