Vintage Flyers in a Universal Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Flyers in a Universal Box

The following flyer was found in a plastic Universal box that contained a Woody Woodpecker cartoon.

I just thought you might like to have a look at it and wondered if anyone ever took up the offer of a free magazine ? If so, was it any good ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00546.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	64828

. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00545.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	64827

I sent it back, figuring the possibilities... probabilities....still in waiting....Shorty

Comment

Melvin,

I believe this was right after the brand change from Castle Films, so this is probably the magazine in question:

Name:	Universal 8 Great Eights.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	64834

Comment

Mom worked for Castle Films on Park Avenue, back when "computer" meant "punch cards". She programmed the shipments and invoices to retailers. She gave it up in 1962, right around the same time I arrived on this planet! This is NOT why I like small gauge film! (...at least I don't think so!)

Maybe six, seven years ago she was visiting and I showed her some films. A Castle 200 footer lit up the screen.

-she said "This is GREAT! I've never seen one before!"

Thanks, Doug! If anybody had that magazine, I would have bet on you having it.

Comment

That magazine is great, Doug! How many issues were there?

Comment

Yes, I got one of those in my CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON 3-D box, filled it out, sent it in and NEVER received the magazine.
            I just laughed it off, like another Captain Company transaction.

Name:	creature-black-lagoon-3d-super8.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	64843

Comment

Doug - Any chance of a pdf file of this magazine being posted on here by yourself, please, as it seems that several people, myself included, are curious to read it........ and also Shorty and David who both sent off for it way back when....... are still WAITING for it !!!!!

(Shorty and David - It must be of some relief to know the magazine DID actually exist!!!?)

Comment

I remember many years ago buying some Woody Woodpecker films in Universal 8 boxes but the prints inside were Castle copies. No doubt Castle remaining stock and no need to reprint as Universal 8.

Slightly digressing, I have a number of 800ft 16mm sound titles such as "Psycho" but they, and the boxes, are marked Universal 8. Perhaps the negatives were also used for the Super 8 releases.

Comment

Yes Melvin , I am surprised it actually did exist ( as shown above ) . So if Doug has an issue , did it ever produce more than one ?
                  Last edited by David Baker; August 18, 2022, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Let me count the issues.......this could take a bit of time.....now I've got it....one!

Although U-8 says in the magazine that this is a continuing publication, I've never come across another one. I'd say it was done primarily to announce the change from Castle and to sell off remaining Castle stock at reduced prices. They do introduce a couple of new titles, including the 12 chapter adventure serial Pirates Treasure. There's also an intro by film historian Leonard Maltin.

I will try to get some scanning done in the next few days.

Comment

Scanning done! The 16 page Great Eights magazine can now be downloaded using this link.

Name:	Great Eights overview.png
Views:	242
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	64906

Comment

Thanks Doug, that is a very interesting read. Especially seeing the US prices and offers.

Comment

Thanks for doing this for us all, Doug, it is appreciated.

Shorty and David..... Hope you will find these of interest and sorry you both wasted a stamp all those years ago !

Comment

Doug, you're the best! My dad was on a business trip at the time and visited them as they were "moving." They yanked a copy of their last catalogue from a packed box, but no magazine!

Comment

Many thanks, Doug! This is a super find for the forum!

Comment

Working...
                              X