Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If vinyl could make a comeback, why not super 8mm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave Bickford View Post

I developed a few rolls of 35mm Ektachrome transparencies using the E6 process in the early 1980's. They look just as good today as they did 40 years ago.
    That's good to know Dave! So E6 has been around a lot longer than I thought. So what was the process before this? I assume it was not stable, hence color shift.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Klare View Post
      I shot a lot of the 160ASA Ektachrome type G in the late 1970s/early 1980s.

It's just as grainy as ever (...no surprise, I guess!), but the colors look fine.

(For some reason, the people, the cars and the clothing all look quite different from today!)
      Yeah the old 160 was way too grainy. The newest (7294) hardly has any grain at all. Also I'd say it's the sharpest Ektachrome to date, much sharper than 7285. Although, that was a nice stock and I liked the colors. I can't quite pinpoint what to compare the newest stock to color wise. The colors and contrast are very unique.

Comment

I like the new Ektachrome a lot. The grain is really fine, and I like the colors maybe even a little better than Kodachrome.

-the shame of it is the price more than doubled between the time it went away and the time it came back: it takes some of the joy out of shooting film. Back in the 2000s when Kodak sold K-40 with a mailer for $13.25, it was a lot easier to go out and shoot three or four cartridges in an afternoon, maybe even take a chance on something that could wind up on the cutting room floor.

Then again, it's nice that we are able to have camera stock at all this long after 8mm film was predicted to disappear completely.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane C. Collins View Post

That's good to know Dave! So E6 has been around a lot longer than I thought. So what was the process before this? I assume it was not stable, hence color shift.
          No clue about any film process before this except for the D76 B&W negative process (I was only 16 years old when I had a darkroom in 1980). According to various Google searches, a version of E6 was apparently available to pros in 1975 and (a simplified version) to hobbyists in 1977. I used the simplified version. IIRC it was only three chemicals like the D76 B&W processing.

To get get back on track to the original topic: I was recently delighted to find some albums I bought as a teen. I recently bought a cheap turntable to play them. Brings back memories! I love digital audio and video, but there's something about being able to touch a tangible object and make it play. The vinyl still sounds really good, and film is good if you have a decent projector.

Having said that, my 21 year old great-niece recently bought a turntable and some vinyl records because it's "cool". Maybe I can convince her and her younger siblings to record their various social media posts on Super 8mm. LOL
          Last edited by Dave Bickford; August 23, 2022, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Klare View Post
            I like the new Ektachrome a lot. The grain is really fine, and I like the colors maybe even a little better than Kodachrome.

-the shame of it is the price more than doubled between the time it went away and the time it came back: it takes some of the joy out of shooting film. Back in the 2000s when Kodak sold K-40 with a mailer for $13.25, it was a lot easier to go out and shoot three or four cartridges in an afternoon, maybe even take a chance on something that could wind up on the cutting room floor.

Then again, it's nice that we are able to have camera stock at all this long after 8mm film was predicted to disappear completely.
            I agree today it's really a specialty stock used on special occasions. But boy is it fun to shoot and get those processed films back in the mail. I just received 2 carts I shot at the beach earlier this month.

Comment

The process before E6 was E4, which was a longer, lower temperature process. I think there was in intermediate version ME4 (Modified E4) which used a higher temperature for shorter processing times, but I don't remember if the chemicals were the same as normal E4. Ektachrome emulsions had to be altered to take the higher temperatures IIRC).

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Fretwell View Post
                The process before E6 was E4, which was a longer, lower temperature process. I think there was in intermediate version ME4 (Modified E4) which used a higher temperature for shorter processing times, but I don't remember if the chemicals were the same as normal E4. Ektachrome emulsions had to be altered to take the higher temperatures IIRC).
                Thanks Brian! So I assume the E4 process was less stable, and caused a lot of the color shifts we see in older Ektachrome films? From further research I've done, it seems those films processed in E6 have held up remarkably well over the decades!

Comment

Doesn’t all new vinyl come from a digital origin anyway? It’s not as if new music is recorded in the same way as it was in the pre-digital era. For me, the whole vinyl ‘comeback’ is aesthetic only. It’s more about the feel of the record, the sleeve, etc. than the actual sound.

Comment

Working...
                  X