Converting 8mm/Super 8 To Digital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting 8mm/Super 8 To Digital

Just come across this nifty item from Coopers of Stortford.
    Perhaps a trifle dear at £299.99 it will produce high definition (1080p) copies in the MP4 format. Also transfers to SD cards. Or you can just use it as a viewer.

Super 8 Scanner | Coopers of Stortford

Looks like a clone of one of those awful Wolverine machines.

Comment

I agree Dave - the same old dog in a different coat!
      There must surely be a market for a reliable good quality scanner below say $1,000.00.This is not it.

Comment

Thank you, Paul.
        I would like Dave to further explain his comment about the Wolverine machine being "awful".

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice Leakey View Post
          Thank you, Paul.
          I would like Dave to further explain his comment about the Wolverine machine being "awful".
          The video quality is bad. The video is compressed so much there is obvious and bothersome macroblocking and pixelation.

Also, my specific unit broke after transferring about 25 feet of film. The film claw got stuck and wouldn't budge. Got a refund.

Comment

Thank you, Paul.
            With regard to my first posting. I read a comment about it that joins were a problem causing films to get stuck within the unit.

Comment

Worse yet, since it scans at around 2 fps (or 30 minutes for one 50' reel). That would make it not practical even for a film viewer. I once had a chance to try out one of these thing (rebranded as Reflectra scanner, but internally identical) and not impressed at all.

For best result under 1K budget I think DIY route is the only way to go, provided that you can eventually managed to sort all issues out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220825_072509.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	65122

Comment

The method I have used with great success is to use a video camera and film off screen using a variable speed projector with a 3 bladed shutter, feeding the output from the camera into a computer for editing and exporting to DVD. The projector needs to be warmed up for a while before transferring and then use the speed control to run at 16 and 2 thirds frames per sec. This of course only applies here in the uk or the PAL system. I use a Eumig 810d with a speed control unit fitted into the motor circuit as suggested by a forum member a few years ago. I think the details are somewhere in the old forum. At my age, my memory is not what it was!! Ken Finch.

Comment

Working...
                X