Revere model 777 belt replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revere model 777 belt replacement

I recently bought a Revere model 777 at a garage sale; pristine condition aside from one of the rubber belts needs to be replaced. I ordered the belts and opened the projector but now I have no idea how to "thread" the belt. Are there any diagrams or tear-downs for the model 777?

Also, if this is going to be too much of a chore to replace a belt, can someone please suggest (or send a link) to any other 8mm projector that is "low maintenance" or has an easier belt replacement. I have a ton of movies I'd love to watch!

Thanks so much.

I can definitely recommend a Bolex 18-5 regular 8mm projector. Built like a tank, small, and easy to work on. There are a few of us forum members who own these unique little machines. Bolex made the 18-5 for regular 8mm starting in 1961, and continued the design for Super 8mm. The one to avoid is the earliest model with the red selector switch. All others use a white selector switch which also glows in the dark. The belt change on the 18-5 is simply. It uses 3 small belts to drive the shutter, and one chain drive for the supply and take-up spindles. Belts can still be purchased on eBay. One negative is the projection bulb used in these. They look like a 'spaceman" in design and are no longer manufactured. But they seem to last a long time, and you can get deals online when purchasing one. I converted my 18-5 regular machine to halogen and it works like a charm. I have a few of these 'spaceman" bulbs laying around so if you decided to buy one of these I could give you some spare bulbs at no cost. Just some food for thought if you decide not to repair your Revere.
    Here's a link and photo of a regular 18-5. http://www.bolexcollector.com/projectors/185auto.html The link is for the upgraded 18-5 automatic from 1963. Also if you browse this forum you will see a post I made for my halogen upgrade.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	185auto_1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.0 KB ID:	6600

Comment

Thank you so much Shane. I'm going to try to find one of these now and I may take you up on the bulb offer. I'll also peruse your halogen upgrade. Thanks again!

Comment

Erin

Have a look at this old post. But it will not help with replacing the belts/s. There is a suggestion that the original belts might have been wire and joined together after replacing.

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bi...01174;go=newer

Maurice

Comment

Thanks so much Maurice! I was actually able to get the rubber belt on. I'm sure it was not the way it was meant to be replaced but I fixed it. : )

Comment

Working...
          X