Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences from 200' and 400' versions

Hello Everyone,

Is there a comprehensive list somewhere of the films that had different footage on 200'/400' versions?

For example: I have the Warner Superman 3 x 400' version that has footage from the 200' and 400' single reels all spliced together. Star Wars had a similar deal with the 200' sound and 400' sound reels. The 200' version had a scene not found in the 400'.

I've seen discussions about this here before and wasn't sure how many films out there were like this. I'm currently on a WWII movie kick and was wondering if this occurred in the 400' vs 200' ft versions of Von Ryan's Express, The Desert Fox, The Longest Day, etc.

Also I figured being shut in, a nifty editing project would be a great way to pass the time.

20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH-The 200 foot has the scene of the Ymir the next morning after it hatched not in the 400. l don't remember if there is anything elsa extra.

EATH VS THE FLYING SAUCERS-I remember there were a few scenes on the 200 not on the 400. A downed saucer in a lake in D.C. for one.

Comment

Chad - You may not know, but this subject was discussed in some detail on the previous forum (The G.O.F.) so you may want to explore it.

My contribution to that thread was to mention that the 200' and 400' versions of The Muppet Movie are completely different, and the 200' can be easily edited into the 400' in its entirety at the point where they decide to go to London. The 200' covers the trip there. I've done it, and it works a treat as a 600' cut down.

Comment

Chad,

Here are two links to get you started:

Link 1
        Link 2

You should also search for the thread about editing the two Exorcist versions (3x400', 400') together.

Doug

Comment

Hi All,
          If you want to really become frustrated with the ever-present, totally inappropriate narration on Columbia Super 8 releases, just edit together the 200' and 400' versions of "20 Million Miles To Earth" and "Earth Vs. the Flying Saucers" and you get for your price of admission not one but two different narrators! In the right frame of mind, it can be a fun indoor activity to watch these classics with narration which switches between two completely different voices!

Comment

Thanks for the info an links everyone. I've been looking at past posts and have found lots of titles!
            This should be recorded on a list. Some of these I knew, some I didn't! So far we have...

Star Wars (200/400 "F48" with Han and Chewie on the cover/400 "F64" featuring the cantina scene)
            Superman (200/400/3x400)
            The Exorcist (400/3x400)
            The Muppet Movie (200/400)
            20 Million Miles to Earth (200/400)
            Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (200/400)
            Patton (200- "The Speech"/400)
            Creature from the Black Lagoon (200/400)
            The Mummy (200/400)
            Duck Soup (200 "This is War"/400)
            A Night in Casablanca (200 "Acting the Fool"/4x400)
            Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster (200/200- needs to be totally re-assembled)
            Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein (200/400)
            Curse of the Crimson Altar (200 Walton/200 Ken/2x400 Walton)
            Born Free (200/400)

Feel free to add to this list if you know any! I know not everyone likes to splice the bits and pieces in, but some of us do and this could prove useful.

Comment

Many Castle Films' 200' and Universal 8 400' Horror and Sci-Fi edits feature different scenes:
              The Mummy's Ghost
              The Mummy's Tomb
              Bride of Frankenstein
              Son of Frankenstein
              Frankenstein meets the Wolfman
              Abbott & Costello meet Frankenstein
              The Incredible Shrinking Man
              Abbott & Costello meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
              Dr. Cyclops (Castle 200' is b&w, Universal 8 400' is color)
              This Island Earth (Castle 200' titled "War of the Planets" is b&w, Universal 8 400' is color)
              It Came from Outer Space (Castle 200' is flat, Universal 8 400' is 3D)

Comment

Working...
              X