Quick L&H Identification question & "Be Big" question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick L&H Identification question & "Be Big" question

I'm pretty sure this is a second part of a L&H film. Not very good organization. Also how was "Be Big" released? Blackhawk (reel size and number) I have one of those large 600" reels that won't fit on any of my projectors. I'm wondering if maybe two parts were spliced but not sure. I could have sworn that there was a blackhawk film database with titles, numbers, and reels. Thanks for the help. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E1326.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	66361 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E1324.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	66362 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1327.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	66363

Film shown is Another Fine Mess 1930. Be Big was issued as 600 by Derann, 400 by Walton not sure about Blackhawk. That reel looks bigger than 600 reel. Is it a 1200 reel? Title says standard 8 is this correct.

Another Fine Mess
    Theatrical release poster
    Directed byJames ParrottWritten byH.M. WalkerBased onHome from the Honeymoon
    1908 play
    by Arthur J. Jefferson[1]Produced byHal RoachStarringStan Laurel
    Oliver HardyCinematographyJack StevensEdited byRichard C. CurrierMusic byLeroy ShieldDistributed byMetro-Goldwyn-Mayer
    Release date
    November 29, 1930
    Running time
    28' 09"CountryUnited StatesLanguageEnglish

Another Fine Mess is a 1930 short comedy film directed by James Parrott and starring Laurel and Hardy. It is based on the 1908 play Home from the Honeymoon by Arthur J. Jefferson, Stan Laurel's father, and is a remake of their earlier silent film (and debut as an "official" duo) Duck Soup.

Oliver Hardy and Stan Laurel are vagrants being chased by the police. They hide in the basement of the mansion of Allan Quatermain-style adventurer Colonel Wilberforce Buckshot, where they become trapped. The colonel has just departed for an African safari and the mansion is to be rented until his return, but the staff sneak off for a holiday, leaving the house empty. The house is surrounded by several policeman who are looking for Stan and Ollie, who must deceive a rich couple seeking to rent the house. Ollie disguises himself as Buckshot and Stan disguises himself as both butler Hives and chambermaid Agnes.

The real Colonel Buckshot unexpectedly returns to fetch his bow and arrows, only to find the disorder that had ensued after his departure. Ollie continues his masquerade as Colonel Buckshot to the real colonel until he sees a portrait on the wall of the real owner. The colonel calls the police and Stan and Ollie escape dressed as a wildebeest on a stolen tandem bicycle. They ride into a railroad tunnel and encounter a tram but emerge riding unicycles because the tram has split the bicycle in half.

Comment

Thank you for the identification. Yes it is a 600' reel. Look how big the center is. Makes no sense to me. Yes it is standard 8mm w/ sound.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E1330.JPG Views:	0 Size:	62.0 KB ID:	66368
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1331.JPG Views:	0 Size:	142.2 KB ID:	66369

Comment

Hi Chad

Yes, massive centre that why I thought it was a bigger reel.

Mike

Comment

I guess maybe this is what a 600' reel would look like. I have an empty one as well so i'm sure they came together. Looking like this is probably the 600' release from blackhawk as well. I appreciate the help.

Comment

Blackhawk catalogs list Be Big (830-02-1372) Standard 8mm magnetic sound as being 575'. I would think it was originally shipped by Blackhawk spooled on two 400' reels and later spliced together.

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas Meltzer View Post
              Blackhawk catalogs list Be Big (830-02-1372) Standard 8mm magnetic sound as being 575'. I would think it was originally shipped by Blackhawk spooled on two 400' reels and later spliced together.
              Looks like i will be unspooling this one. it will fit my super 8 projector only so I'll try to use it somehow to unspool. Thank you

Comment

I would have answered this, however was late getting to see it... Shorty, a/k/a "Mr. Blackhawk"

Comment

Also known as "The Boss of CineSea".

Chad,

Here is a link to a site where you can find Blackhawk catalogs dating from 1935. If you scroll down you'll see the list of issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas Meltzer View Post
                    Also known as "The Boss of CineSea".

Chad,

Here is a link to a site where you can find Blackhawk catalogs dating from 1935. If you scroll down you'll see the list of issues.
                    I clicked link and scrolled down to the 1970s catalogs and I keep getting this error to view online or download. I've never heard of Opendrive until I clicked that link. Never had an account. Is this me suspended or the uploader? Much appreciated.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	error.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	66393

Comment

I get that on all the links I have tried there. It looks to me as if that cloud storage account has been suspended. Who by I couldn't say.

Comment

I'm getting the same message, although I was able to view the catalogs online yesterday. Perhaps an increase in traffic somehow triggered this?

The HMH archivist is a Forum member. I'll send him a PM about this.

Comment

Much appreciated. I would really like to go through the catalogs. Just glad it isn't me. Phew

Comment

Will sift through mine for any informational help, name it...Shorty

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Caruso View Post
                              Will sift through mine for any informational help, name it...Shorty
                              Much appreciated. I'm sure i'll be taking you up on that. Thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X