Bolex 18-5L Super issue: supply reel turning too fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mark Eble View Post
    I have a 1961 Bolex 18-5 Standard with the single flat belt. It is starting to lose traction and needs a nudge from the inching knob to get going. It is getting worse. Is there a source for a replacement? I am new to this site (and to 8mm projectors). Is there guidance or advice on whether to lubricate these machines and if so, how? Many thanks!
    Your other option is to look for a later 18-5 parts machine with a 3 belt pulley. This pulley can be retrofitted into these first models. I think 1962 was when they updated the machines to use 3 belts. Or just update to a newer projector all together. These single belts are no longer made so this machine is probably on life support. Bolex projectors with the red selector knob are the first ones. That is the best way to tell the difference.

Comment

Thanks, I've run across a company called West Coast Belts that says they will make me one for <$20 if I provide dimensions. Has anyone used these people? It also occurred to me that perhaps there may be a compound or coating that could be applied to the inside of the belt that would make it slightly more tacky/grabby.

Comment

For example there are aerosol belt dressing compounds that are used for sewing machines and power tools that condition the belt and add traction. Seems like it couldn't hurt to try. I would take the belt off first of course. Thoughts?

Comment

Those are often used on the rubber drive discs in Eumig projectors so that might work if the belt is just polished on the surface and is not too loose.

Comment

I would have thought that the supply of this belt would be simple as in europe loads available on e-bay, however the size is 45mm x 3mm or 1 and 3/4" by 1/8".
            Just make sure that all traces of old belt are removed from both pulleys there is no need for applying a belt dressing on belt drives only on friction drives.
            Check the worm/gear drives, if the old grease has hardened, clean and relube.
            Previous posts also refer to lubing.

Regards Tom

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	94E50763-47C1-4EF3-931B-394ACAEB1B2A.jpg Views:	0 Size:	186.5 KB ID:	74295 I'm just gonna throw this out here even though it might not be a problem Bell & Howell made a super eight 400 foot take up reel for some of their machines that had a slipping hub after the film grabbed on the projector really go much faster than the flow of the film and the slippage was normal. These reels were normally black. This probably does not Have anything to do with your problem but if it's a Bell & Howell take up reel check to make sure the hub is slipping and if it does slip, everything is fine

Comment

Just a quick afterthought to my previous post you might try a belt to your AS [our BS] specification.
                AS 133 has size 45.7mm x 2.62mm.
                These are classed as O rings and formed from nitrile,

Regards TOM

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Eble View Post
                  For example there are aerosol belt dressing compounds that are used for sewing machines and power tools that condition the belt and add traction. Seems like it couldn't hurt to try. I would take the belt off first of course. Thoughts?
                  The best I've used for treating belts, and Eumig drive discs is CRC automotive belt dressing. I've used this on a few projectors that used belts and the results were excellent. It has also proven itself for treating those drive discs by restoring the rubber, and providing better grip. I have found the easiest way to use this product is by spraying some in the plastic lid outside. Then bringing it back inside, and applying it to the rubber with a few Q tips.

Comment

Many thanks! Exactly what I wanted to know!

Comment

Working...
                    X