Swapped Sankyo 800 with Elmo ST800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapped Sankyo 800 with Elmo ST800

I started having some sound issues with my Sankyo 800 projector. So today I swapped out the Sankyo for my Elmo ST800. I had to search for different cables to connect it to my mixer that feeds the sound bar. The external speaker connection on the Elmo uses a different plug then the Sankyo. The sound was excellent... No hissing ... No hum ... and no static. I think it even sounded better than the Sankyo.

I used a wide-angle lens to increase the picture size on my Sankyo. I temporarily just propped up the wide-angle lens in front of the standard lens. The picture was in focus across the image.

I've always liked the Elmo ST800 and now excited to be able to use it on a more regular basis.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20221014_025420465.jpg Views:	0 Size:	182.0 KB ID:	67069 Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20221014_025725102.jpg Views:	0 Size:	121.1 KB ID:	67070 Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20221014_015635173.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.8 KB ID:	67071 Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20221014_023430023.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.9 KB ID:	67072 Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20221014_021727069.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.2 KB ID:	67073
    Last edited by Janice Glesser; October 13, 2022, 10:22 PM.

I recognize "Flight Of The Phoenix" there Janice.

Here are a couple of photos I took a while back of early advertising for the ST-800, nice projector.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120364.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	67077
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120365.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	67078

Comment

Hi Graham... I have to say that advert is very impressive and the actual projector holds up to its claims. I like it better than my Elmo ST 1200. I think it's the simplicity that's the big winner here and it's definitely a high quality Elmo build.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2890.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.5 KB ID:	67094

Twin ST-800, double 600 Foot Rewind
        (Kodak Pageant: hot in pursuit!)

I'm definitely on the ST-800 side of ST-800/ST-1200 discussion, mostly because of the friction roller drive of the ST-1200s. If the '1200 had a regulated DC motor like many other Elmos, it would certainly pull out in front with that 1200 Foot capacity. The speed regulation of my ST-1200 is a lot less than perfect is it stands. One of these days I'm going to take it apart and try to improve on that, but I'm not looking forward to it!

Either ST has great sound. I plug into the Aux. with a 3.5mm plug and send that to my mixer.

Comment

Steve Klare Believe it or not.. I couldn't locate 3.5mm plug in my plug arsenal. But I did have one of those 3 prong plugs (forget what they are called) that I had made for my Elmo ST1200. The cable with that 3-prong plug had a balance plug on the other end. So I connected it to another cable with a balance to 1/4" plug to connect to the mixer. Kind of convoluted I know... but it worked. I really love my sound bar system that you helped me setup. It's simple and perfect for my needs ...Thanks again!

Comment

Always glad to help, Janice!

The connection between an Elmo and a Xenyx mixer is easy for just one machine.

All you need is a monaural unbalanced 1/8 to 1/4 (3.5mm to 6.35mm) cable:

1/8 to 1/4 TS Cable Mono
            (-no soldering required!)

I usually use one unbalanced cable per setup, with the idea of avoiding ground-loops among several different machines. Everybody else gets a balanced connection, which I need to buy in pieces and solder together. Custom cabling is kind of fun! For my video player I have a stereo, unbalanced female RCA to dual 1/4" male cable so I can plug it into male to male RCA cables of different lengths. (Try finding THAT in a catalog!)

The grounding on the Elmos is so good, I bet you could get away with two having unbalanced connections, but why tempt fate?!

("What's that hum?!!")
            Last edited by Steve Klare; October 15, 2022, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Janice Glesser View Post
              Hi Graham... I have to say that advert is very impressive and the actual projector holds up to its claims. I like it better than my Elmo ST 1200. I think it's the simplicity that's the big winner here and it's definitely a high quality Elmo build.
              Just pray you never need to fix the electronics in there!

Comment

Hi Janice. I’m just wondering what was the nature of the Sankyo sound issues, and also, wondered if anyone else has had similar issues with the Sankyo 800?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael O’Regan View Post
                  Hi Janice. I’m just wondering what was the nature of the Sankyo sound issues, and also, wondered if anyone else has had similar issues with the Sankyo 800?
                  I have a Sankyo Sound 762. The audio sounds "thin", is very hissy and there's static at startup. The projector also seems to run a bit fast. I'm guessing the electrolytic capacitors need to be replaced. I also have a Sankyo 500, but I haven't run film through it yet. I'm wondering if the sound on that projector is in the same state of affairs.

Comment

Jon Byler I pray that I don't have to fix the electronics in any of my projectors 😜 electronics has never been my strong suit. In the past I have done some extensive component replacements on the Sankyo 800, but due to my current health issues I don't see being able to do any further repairs in the future. However like Steve Klare I too have a second Elmo ST800 for backup. Fingers crossed 🤞

Michael O’Regan I'm trying to remember the issues with the sound I heard on the Sankyo 800. I'm going to test it out this week to be more specific with the problems. However from what I can remember the sound wasn't clear... Kind of muffled...fuzzy.

Comment

-actually my two ST-800s are like Simon and Garfunkel: they usually work together as a team. I had the "new" one go down for a couple of days last week and it was kind of disheartening! -like Ginger Rogers out there without Fred Astaire!

I sorted it out and pretty soon they'll team up again. (For the moment it's an ST-800 paired with an ST-1200HD.)

Comment

Working...
                      X