Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Channel loading super 8 sound projector?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Channel loading super 8 sound projector?

Since my st-800 has been giving me fits, I’ve been looking for an alternative super 8 sound projector. I’ve used a number of 16mm projectors over the years, and nothing in this world is so reliable and easy to use as my Elmo 16CL…

Is there a super 8 projector out there that even is half as simple to load as the 16CL? it’s been simple and 100% reliable, a hard combination to beat. I suppose that the auto load machines are “simple”. My problem with them is when they don’t auto load, you end up with a mess.

The early Eumigs like the Mark S, the Mark S 701 and the Mark S 709 load film automatically onto the top sprocket and gate only with the rest being slot load only. You create the bottom loop yourself after the film gate and slot load through the sound heads, capstan and pinch roller, and then onto a roller and finally onto the takeup reel. So, I think that's about as close to slot loading for a projector I've seen. And yes, the semi automatic part from the first sprocket through the gate works flawlessly each and every time without any problems whatsoever.

Comment

I agree with Joseph, the early semi auto-loading Eumig's are among the best projectors ever made! In fact, it was Joseph who helped me decide on a projector that didn't eat my home movies. I started with a Eumig Mark S Super 8 only machine, and just recently purchased a Eumig Mark S 709. The 709 is like new and will be getting a mild restoration, including new motor mounts.

These semi auto-loading Eumig's load film perfectly every time. I have yet to have a mishap. The footage is rock steady! The other nice feature is the twist to focus lenses. This style lens allows you to dial in your focus, and is very precise. I must also add these early Eumig's will run silent films with the pressure pads disengaged from the play and record heads. This feature minimizes wear and tear on the heads. Now you will probably read online about needing to recondition the rubber discs that the motor applies pressure to move the shutter, etc. This is a simple fix, and I have found a good cleaning with alcohol, and cotton swabs, followed by use of a rubber restore work every time. In most cases you will need to install new motor mounts, but there are new one's being made, and it's not that difficult to do if you take your time. Like Joseph I can highly recommend these. The 800 and 900 series Eumig's always seem to over shadow the early Eumig's, and that's a shame. The early Eumig's are in fact more robust in my opinion...
      Last edited by Shane C. Collins; October 16, 2022, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Here are some photos of the recently purchased Eumig Mark S 709. As you can see the film exits the film gate, and a bottom loop is then formed manually as Joseph indicated. Then slotted through the area of the sound heads to the rear sprocket, then a roller, finally to the take-up reel. Note: the bottom photo shows the film path without film in place. For anyone wondering the lens I fitted here is the Eumig Suprovar 1.0 zoom lens. Probably Eumig's best and sharpest lens from the early days. This lens is a thing of beauty!

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20221014_183818042.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.8 KB ID:	67184
        Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20221014_171445525.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.3 KB ID:	67182
        Attached Files

Comment

Shane, that sounds just like I wrote it!

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph Banfield View Post
            Shane, that sounds just like I wrote it!
            LOL....I learned from the best!....

Comment

It is a bit of an exaggeration to say that the 709 is a channel loading model. True that it takes the film round the top sprocket and through the gate, but that's all.
              You still need to place the film on the second sprocket as you form the correct bottom loop. This spacing depends on whether the film is standard (regular) 8 or Super 8.
              The later auto-thread models (800) will take the film all the way, and even onto the take-up spool if it's the correct type.

Comment

Yes, but the guy said specifically he wants to avoid autoloading which leaves out any of the 800 series, or any other Super 8 sound machine that is full autoloading.

Comment

I agree with Joseph, the guy isn't looking for a full auto-loading machine. The early Eumig's fit his needs! It seems many here aren't fans of these early machines, and I can't quite figure that out. They are far superior to those later models that frankly I am not impressed with. I had a 810D and hated it. Shredded film like there was no tomorrow. The Mark S and S 709 would never shred a film, and run perfectly every time. Plus those tube amps are a marvel of design and function! Anyways let's help this guy find what he's looking for.....

Comment

I'm mostly curious if something as simple and effective as the 16-CL elmo was made for smaller gauge film. My bolex 18-5L projector is pretty nice, some of the others, it doesn't matter what you do, getting the film to load without jamming is mostly hopes and prayers. It seems like a simple channel loading system would be the easiest to make in addition to the easiest to use, but maybe something like that is not so simple? one of the things I like about them, other than easy loading, is how easy it is to unthread the projector mid film, and to put the film back in, if a splice breaks or some other minor catastrophe happens.

Comment

Channel (Slot) loading 16mm projectors were introduced mainly for places such as schools and colleges whose teachers could never get the hang of manual, or auto-thread.
                      But, they could all use a reel to reel tape recorder with its simple drop in slot system. Hello to the similar system for 16mm film projection.
                      8mm/Super 8 auto-thread projectors work very well if the necessary trimming and curvature of the film is prepared before loading.

Comment

Working...
                      X