No announcement yet.

CineSea 25 in Pictures!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love seeing all the tables set up with films and projectors. I was totally impressed with Geoff's portable 36mm projector! I've never seen one that small... What a cool machine!

Sorry I'm not able to attend these wonderful gatherings, I would love to meet you all in person. However I sure would like to get a Cinesea t-shirt one of these days. 🤗 Are they still available to buy?

Thanks Steve and everyone else that contributed to this thread. You are all continuing to keep this wonderful hobby alive and well.

Comment

Janice,

We'll get to work on another batch!

Comment

Steve-Doug-Claus...what happened to the group shot? It has not surfaced.

Comment

Gotta wait for the Finale!
          (busy at work this week!)

Comment

Stu,

They're busy using Photoshop to make me look presentable. That's no small feat!

Comment

Saturday Night Show!

So, it all comes down to this!

Saturday in many ways is the peak of CineSea. All gauges are running, many people contribute short films (20 minutes or less, with special exceptions) and anything that can be shown to Family Audiences can and often is seen!

The machines and the room are ready:
              Click image for larger version  Name:	Massed Projectors.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.7 KB ID:	67952

The cake is ready:
              Click image for larger version  Name:	CineSea Cake CU.jpg Views:	0 Size:	152.8 KB ID:	67953

Let the show begin!
              Click image for larger version  Name:	ScrShot 6_DxOVP.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.6 KB ID:	67954

Click image for larger version  Name:	ScrShot 5_DxOVP.jpg Views:	0 Size:	254.1 KB ID:	67955

Click image for larger version  Name:	ScrShot 4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.0 KB ID:	67956

Click image for larger version  Name:	ScrShot 2_DxOVP.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.8 KB ID:	67957

These quite commonly start the traditional way: trailers and day-sets. From there on it's a huge mixture of shorts both old and new, a lot of animation, live action comedy and music too. This is a natural place for digest films and we see a lot of those, including premiers of several of Dave Baker's new digest prints. Saturday Night Show is no stranger to live entertainment either, over the years we've had music and comedy from several talented (and brave) CineSea volunteers!

This is a marathon show, and often runs until well after midnight: this time was no exception!

Next: Sunday and the Road Back Home!
              Last edited by Steve Klare; October 29, 2022, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Looks like "Gone Nutty" on Super8 is one of them

Comment

Yes, it is!

-and that one would be mine!

It's actually a very important print in my collection. For one thing, this is among my very first sound prints, almost exactly 20 years ago. It's also the one that got me started on the sound system I have today. I needed something with big speakers to do credit to things like that avalanche of acorns that sweeps Scrat off the cliff, but found that during the really quiet parts this brought up all sorts of hum.

Fixing this problem turned out to be one of the most enjoyable parts of collecting films for me.

It's part of the off-season at CineSea: we think about the films in our collections and all of a sudden an idea dawns: "Why not bring that one to Saturday Night Show?".

Comment

Thanks , Steve , for mentioning my digests . This time I offered a special Cinesea discount to audience members Saturday night after the showing of this excellent film -

Screenshots from the Presentation on Saturday night
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9554.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	67974 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9561.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	67975

Comment

David's Horror of Dracula digest was a big hit. It looks incredible on a big screen and it's a superb edit!

Comment

Sunday and the Road Back Home!

So, Sunday is basically all business: empty the rooms, take down CineSea itself, pack up the cars, say our goodbyes and head back to the many places we came from a few days earlier. We did have time to walk up the beach to one of our favorite breakfast places, though. It was the last day they were going to be open that season: they were generous in their portions!

-and so we finally come to the end...or maybe not! The story of each CineSea isn’t a novel, that comes to a conclusion (-the Butler did it!). It’s really more like a single chapter in a novel: that the “end” comes, you stick a bookmark in it, pick up that same book later and start a brand-new chapter. The idea is if you like what you’ve seen here, there are still plenty of chapters left, and if you join us, you can join the story too.

This was a special one. A lot of people have said it was the best ever and I have to agree. Still the same, there are still many new ideas out there to try, and maybe the next one, or the one after can also be the best ever: time will tell.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	CineSea 25 Group Shot.jpg Views:	0 Size:	390.1 KB ID:	68050

As is tradition, I’m showing the group photo here at the end. I understand Stu’s question why it hadn’t popped up yet, since for the first time we gathered for the group shot on Saturday, just to get the picture before people headed for the cars and the journey home. The official count taken over the entire weekend is about 50 people.

I’d like to take a moment and thank Guy Taylor and Greg Perry for joining us for the first time since Covid-19: their presence is just another sign that maybe life can return to normal. When Jason Smith joins us once again, it’ll finally feel like business as usual!

And so, CineSea 25 is officially at an end. Someday soon we’ll have a date for ’26 and you’ll see it here first!

Just a few more for the Road!
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	Doug and Shorty Portrait.jpg Views:	0 Size:	278.8 KB ID:	68051

Click image for larger version  Name:	Oliver Hardy w Films.jpg Views:	0 Size:	123.8 KB ID:	68052

Click image for larger version  Name:	Doug Joe Lou on Stage.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.1 KB ID:	68053

Click image for larger version  Name:	Watching 35mm.jpg Views:	0 Size:	324.1 KB ID:	68054

Click image for larger version  Name:	CS Laminated Poster CU.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.5 KB ID:	68055

Last edited by Steve Klare; October 31, 2022, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Thank you Steve and Claus for the Cinesea report. It looked like everyone had a blast. I am hoping I can make it to another Cinesea soon.

Comment

Jason, it will great to see you. You've been missed!

Click image for larger version  Name:	CineSea25 Saturday - 1 (4).jpg Views:	0 Size:	208.9 KB ID:	68293

Click image for larger version  Name:	CineSea25 Saturday - 1 (5).jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.3 KB ID:	68292

Click image for larger version  Name:	CineSea25 Saturday - 1 (6) window.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.6 KB ID:	68294

In post #26, one of the photos shows Shorty, Lou and myself addressing the folks before the start of the Saturday night show. I'm holding envelopes with a gift that we gave out that night.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8881booklet.jpg Views:	0 Size:	146.3 KB ID:	68303

We had a small booklet printed up (Shorty's idea!) as thanks to the terrific people who come to CineSea. In it, I wrote the following:

The thing about CineSea is that when you start to make up a list of people to thank, you realize that the list has no end. There are the people who arrive early to help set up the room and the screen. The projectionists who haul, pull, tug & tow some of the heaviest cases of equipment that the world has seen. The dealers who fill their tables and tempt us with wondrous bits of celluloid and equipment with the sole purpose of reducing the amount of space we have in our homes. The collectors who submit films to be voted on for the Friday screenings and the ones who bring their prized prints to share with everyone on Thursday and Saturday nights. The kind hearted souls who bring cakes, popcorn, candies, cakes, beverages, real food and did I mention cakes? The Shalimar staff who are wonderfully committed to our show and who truly make us feel welcome. And of course, the amazing people who come to enjoy CineSea again and again, giving each gathering a vitality and liveliness that make it all so much fun.

There is a reason why Shorty, Lou and I do our best to make CineSea happen, and I believe it’s the same reason why people keep coming back and keep helping out and keep making it all possible. Because there’s one thing we all really, really want. And that’s to thread up a projector and enjoy our films with our friends.

If you like what you've read here, please come join us for CineSea 26, which will take place on Thursday, April 20 through Sunday, April 23, 2023!

Comment

Looks like a great weekend with a fantastic selection of presentations - congratulations to all involved! I've never seen a 35mm projector of that particular type, and would be curious to know the manufacturer, if someone could kindly tell me?

Comment

Cinemacanica Porta X (500-watt Xenon).. Cheers, Shorty

Comment

Working...
                                X