Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8mm/super 8mm 400ft projector recommendations

Hello everyone

Read the rules so hope this is ok, dyslexic so reading isn't my strong point so sorry if it isn't.

I recently bought a Kodak Brownie A-15-G on eBay without doing my duedilligence of checking how expensive the lamps were if they blow. Unfortunately as soon as I turned it on today once it arrived, the lamp blew after 15 seconds and it turns out they're 3x the price to replace than what I paid for the whole projector ..

I've been having a look on eBay again at Dual 8mm Projectors as I have a few 8mm reels and a few 8mm super reels, as well as a 4x400ft copy of The Gold Rush by Charlie Chaplin, and these seem like the best thing to go for but there's so many of them + the bulb sitution that I'm really not sure what to go for.

These are the ones that I've looked at so far, but would really appreciate any help you kind folk would be willing to offer as I've no idea what I'm doing.

Dual 8 Duo: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295046592765
    Chinon IQ4000GL: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334604925703
    Cinerex 818: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265402526995

The Cinerex one looks like the best from the short amount of information I could find online, as well as the bulbs being cheap to replace according to Amazon, but really unsure.

Also included a picture of the poor Kodak for anyone qurious.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Laim McKenzie; October 28, 2022, 02:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY A CINEREX. They truly are the most awful and destructive projector ever made!

I would strongly recommend one of these…..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334593092...mis&media=COPY

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Hilliker View Post
      Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY A CINEREX. They truly are the most awful and destructive projector ever made!

I would strongly recommend one of these…..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334593092...mis&media=COPY
      And this is exactly why I decided to do some looking up/asking this time, thank you so much Stuart.

I kept seeing EUMIG and I've seen it mentioned on here a few times from a brief look around after registering, they look really quality. Is there much difference between to 605D and the 610D?

I've found this 605D (EUMIG 605D SUPER 8 STD 8 CINE MOVIE DUAL FORMAT FILM PROJECTOR | eBay​) as unfortunately that one you shared doesn't post to Scottish Islands...

As for lamp sitution, I take it it would just be these 12V 100W Lamp's? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164112804659

Comment

Originally posted by Laim McKenzie View Post

And this is exactly why I decided to do some looking up/asking this time, thank you so much Stuart.

I kept seeing EUMIG and I've seen it mentioned on here a few times from a brief look around after registering, they look really quality. Is there much difference between to 605D and the 610D?

I've found this 605D (EUMIG 605D SUPER 8 STD 8 CINE MOVIE DUAL FORMAT FILM PROJECTOR | eBay​) as unfortunately that one you shared doesn't post to Scottish Islands...

As for lamp sitution, I take it it would just be these 12V 100W Lamp's? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164112804659
        If you're interested in a Eumig don't buy a 605D or 610D as they are sprocketless, and kind of a pain in the butt. If you truly want a dual gauge Eumig that is gentle on film, and has some of the best focusing of any projector I've used, look for a Eumig Mark S 709. This is truly a great machine with some nice features. I recently wrote about this projector in a thread here titled, Eumig sound projectors in general. If your interested take a look at that post, but in the mean time here's a photo of my machine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221014_183818042.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	67882

Comment

610 has more variable speeds and a sound sync socket. Otherwise same as 605. I had a 610 and really, really liked it. Pinch rollers rather than sprockets were not a problem.... No torn sprocket holes with pinch rollers.

Comment

Well better that the 501, which had no pinch rollers just the claw to pull the film through and the take-up spool turning to get it all the way through and sprung snubbers to take up the slack between frame advances..

Comment

The biggest issue with a sprocket-less projector is the fact the claw, for the most part, is doing all the work. Everything has to be working 100 percent for there to be no issues. A well designed sprocket projector will usually be far superior to a sprocket-less design. Now I will say there are some exceptions to the rule. In the past I have owned a couple Eumig Mark 610D's. While they functioned OK, I never enjoyed the louder noises coming from the projector itself. Sprocket-less machines in general are a bit louder. Now if you do decide to go for a sprocket-less model I would recommend looking for the Eumig made Bolex 18-3 Duo. This model uses a twist-to-focus lens design which makes focusing easier, and more precise. Both Eumig 610d's I owned never focused the frame completely from edge to edge. The focus knob design on these was just not that stellar, and seemed cheaply made compared to twist-to-focus designed machines. Here's a photo of the Bolex 18-3 Duo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	film_20_18-3-DUO_1594385672997.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	67899

Comment

Also I forgot to add, if you're set on a sprocket-less design, the Sankyo Dualux 2000H is a good performer. This projector works similar to the Eumig Mark 610D but uses a rubber roller to guide the film into the film path. Also the Sankyo is quieter during projection. I have one mint in the box, and haven't used it for quite some time. Its simple design also makes it easy to work on, IE belt change. It's one fault is the less than stellar 1.4 zoom lens. This is the biggest weakness for this model. Other than that it's not a bad design, and simple to use. Oh and I forgot to mention it also has a variable speed control which is a joy to use.

Click image for larger version  Name:	film_148_Dualux 2000-H_1512738809034.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.3 KB ID:	67904

Comment

Thanks for your input everyone, Eumig definitely seems the way to go just need to decide between sprocket or sprocketless it seems... I've put up a search watch on eBay for Eumig Mark S 709 and the EUMIG 610D and I'll keep a watch out.

Biggest problem seems to be most don't seem to delivery to the Scottish Islands, but I'm in no imediate rush as I really don't want to ruin the reels I have - especially The Gold Rush.

Appreciate your help everyone. <3

Comment

Hi Laim just my drop in.

I`m usually Elmo all the way, bar the odd machine.

So Dual gauge machine wise I`d recommend the Elmo SP Dual Gauge machines.

Usually fairly priced.

Very kind to film and have simple gauge moving on a lever gate and different sprockets.

They have a 21 150 volt halogen but you can still get relatively OK, and also you can get an elmo 1.1 lens for a brighter bigger picture.

You can often pick up an SP deluxe with a silver metal bodied 1.1 already in for around £40/50.

These machines really are a step above and it will show in your image on the screen.

Also a nice flip down side cover and swing out gate etc.

Just my thoughts and longer term they are a good bet and tend to keep and run well compared to some others as well.

if your wanting to get a few other films to run as well, one would be a very good investment.

Maybe someone has one on here they may sell fairly priced.

I have a spares on in my outside shed.

I had a nicer one I gave away not so long ago. Sorry !!! and good luck.

Some nice picture to give you a good idea at the Bottom of Van Ecks Elmo SP-F page.

https://van-eck.net/en/spare-part-fi...k=52&type=SP-F

https://internationallamps.co.uk/pro...rojector-lamp/

Best wishes Mark.

PS I do have a later 75 watt halogen Bolex 18/5 you are welcome to ( free.) but only super 8. You can also get a very nice std 8 one cheaply too.

Runs OK with a slight issue, nice picture.

But I do need to get another projector off first this week and been struggling help wise.

But would be fairly soon. BUT !!! a really good SP would hit the spot much better.
                    Last edited by Mark Todd; October 29, 2022, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Mark Todd is right the Elmo SP is a good projector, as is the whole GP series, which is basically the same machine. I once had the Elmo Dual 8 360, also the same design as the SP and GP series. The Elmo GP Hi Deluxe was the top model in this line of projectors. It used an Elmo High Fidelity Zoom Lens f: 1.1 F: 12.5-25. The film transport is full auto-loading, and I don't ever remember having issues with film damage on the Dual 8 360. New belts are also readily available online. Below is a photo of the GP Hi Deluxe model.

Click image for larger version  Name:	unknown_1424161621682.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.8 KB ID:	67960

Comment

Hi Laim

i would confirm the comments above. If you can pick up a projector and test it before you buy. Otherwise buy from a reputable dealer such as Barry from Independent 8 or Paul Foster. EBay is Russian roulette.

Mike

Comment

Do you want a sound or silent projector ?. If silent then i recommend any of the eumig 600 series duel gauge projectors that take the 12v 100w lamps, but not the 607D as it uses the less common and more expensive 12v 75w lamps.

Comment

Laim,

If you do decide on the Eumig Mark S 709, this projector will play both silent, and sound movies. In fact, I only project silent Super 8 home movies that I shoot each year on Ektachrome color reversal film. This model has a nice feature, when the sound amp is turned off the pressure pads are disengaged. This allows silent film to glide through the film path without the added wear on the sound heads. A very smart design on behalf of the wizards of Vienna! The 709 is sometimes hard to find online, not sure why that is? When I was hunting for one months ago nothing came up. Then earlier this month there were several for sale here in the states. That's when I found the new in the box 709 I currently own...

Comment

Laim
                              The price of obsolete lamps is ridiculous.
                              Make sure that any projector you do buy uses the 12volt, 100watt, lamp. They are readily available at a very decent price.
                              They are known as EFP or A1/231.
                              OSRAM A1/231 HLX 64627 EFP GZ6.35 - Projector - Disco - Lamp 12v 100W 4050300006802 | eBay

Comment

Working...
                              X