ELMO GS1200 lacing issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ELMO GS1200 lacing issue

Hello all, I have an issue with one of my Elmo GS1200 projectors. So, when autoloading, I press down the autoload 'button', and once the film has gone through, the film will automatically depress a micro switch that both drops the sound head onto the film and releases the auto load button. BUT, the autoload button does not disengage, please see attached image. Your help and advise greatly appreciated, cheers
    Attached Files

Very common problem on the GS1200 Mark, you need to replace the front microswitch, and possibly the back one as well.

Comment

Thank you Paul, might I ask if you describe the location of these micro switches? I assume the front one is behind/near the VU meters, but where would the other be. And, sorry for the questions, what make /type of micro switch? Many thanks

Comment

No problem Mark.
        The switch you need is a subminiature microswitch. I would suggest buying 4 or 6 of them because these switches are sprinkled throughout the GS doing lots of control things, so keep a few spares on hand

Here are some on Amazon, you need something the same size and you need 5 amp current rating. You will have to cut the lever arm to the same length as the old switch on the Elmo:

https://www.amazon.com/Twidec-Straig...8-4-spons&th=1

Now go ahead and download the Film Tech Elmo GS1200 Service Manual. This is the GS owners bible! To download go to WAREHOUSE at the top of the home page of this forum then, MANUALS, scroll all the way down to 8MM PROJECTORS, then select ELMO GS1200 SERVICE MANUAL.

Go to Page 18 fig 4 which is an exploded view of the front part of the mechanism. You need to remove the big flywheel, the lever arm mechanism, and a couple of gears to get at the FRONT microswitch.

To get to the switch at the back of the machine behind the VU meters you need to remove the back cover, remove the top and bottom screws which secure the amplifier cover, remove all the knobs, remove the front folding cover, then remove the amplifier module. 90% of the time the problem is just the front switch so replace that first and you may not need to replace the back one.

The service manual has all the exploded views and directions needed to remove and replace all the assemblies.
        Last edited by Paul Adsett; November 01, 2022, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Outstanding Paul, thank you. Im on the case.

Comment

Good luck Mark, make sure you use magnetic tools to avoid losing washers and screws down into the bowels of the projector. Lay the parts out in the order you removed them. Above all take plenty of time. Beware there is a tiny little pin on the shaft which holds the big nylon gear, that engages with a slot in the gear, so be very careful pulling that gear off the shaft to avoid the pin dropping down into the projector.

Comment

Superb guidance Paul. It's worth replacing them all, something you will probably need to do in one lifetime. You can order them on line from cpc Preston uk.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Mannering View Post
                Superb guidance Paul. It's worth replacing them all, something you will probably need to do in one lifetime. You can order them on line from cpc Preston uk.
                Hi Lee - For the avoidance of doubt, would you be able to confirm the CPC part number?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	microswitch close-up.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	68655 Hi Mark,
                  Paul was my go to guy when this happened to me. I found that you don't have to remove the flywheel. Just the nylon gears and another small circuit board with 2 micro switches on it. I have close up photos I took during my repair I will add to this post when I retrieve them. A simple job really but as Paul points out, parts can drop into the Abyss. Follow his instructions to the letter and I will include photos asap. We'll get it shipshape!
                  Last edited by Burton Sundquist; November 11, 2022, 09:12 AM.

Comment

OK, dumb question and sorry for the tangent, but I've seen the term 'lacing' come up a few times., Is that the same as threading? Just trying to learn.

Comment

Alister not a dumb question, yes would be my answer I would add I have never used the term "lacing" myself, always "threading" when it comes to projectors.
                      Last edited by Graham Ritchie; November 11, 2022, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Would I be right in thinking the switch is the Short Lever CSM40510?

Click image for larger version

Name:	1564547-1.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	68733

Comment

Would anyone be able to confirm I've got the right switch here?

Thanks

Comment

Mark I get mine from CPC at Preston. Worth buying a few and changing them all over a weekend.

Comment

Working...
                            X