Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yashica P810

Good evening,

First post ought to include an introduction, right? My name is Hideki and presently live in Cottage Grove, OR. Grew up in Seattle where, as a 70s kid, used my step-brothers' Sears/GAF Super 8 and Baia editor. I would make friends act in movies for my birthday party. Was library A/V manager in middle school so would answer the call to splice and return broken 16mm films to the classrooms; also did stage crew and operated the 16mm carbon-arc projector in the auditorium. Shot Super 8 and regular 8 until mid-90s. Fast forward to 2022. Using knowledge gained from working on open reel tape decks, I had some confidence to work on 8mm projectors. Finally owning good equipment, I have hosted three 8mm viewing parties so far this autumn and have shot several cartridges of Tri-X. I appreciate the existence of this forum and thanks to all who contribute.

In order to play Japanese Super 8 films with optical audio, I just picked up a Yashica P810. (Thanks to those who posted about the P810 here in 2016 - it was very informative and key to the purchase.) It seems to work fine but the film loop between first sprocket and film gate is inconsistent in size (causing frame slipping) and there's a noticeable rattle (noise) in reverse. I then noticed there's a metal bar at the rear (linked to film guides for the film loop after the film gate) with a hole in it. It's quite loose and I can't help but think something should be attached to it.
    I have been unable to find a manual or photos of a P810 without the front covers so cannot confirm if something is missing. Could someone tell me if it's supposed to be this way or not? Thank you!

Welcome Hideki! I'm originally from Oregon... Born in Portland and still have lots of cousins in Gresham and Sandy.

I took a couple of photos of the supply feed area. However I was not running film in these shots. That metal linkage you mentioned with the hole appears much higher on my machine, but perhaps it lowers once the film is running. I'll try to get shots with the film running to compare later. Hope these pics are useful.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20221111_064722040.jpg Views:	0 Size:	149.7 KB ID:	68639 Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20221111_065105206.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.1 KB ID:	68640

Comment

What coincidences! I used to own a P810, and I was born in Portland, OR as well! When it ran, the P810's optical sound had some great low end audio and pretty sharp at that. Nice little unit!

Comment

Janice,

I very much appreciate the photos! They helped me figure out that the linkage connects to the plastic upper loop guide. A quick fix with a spring hook tool.

BTW, could you tell me what the "monitor screen" is at the bottom left of the unit? Thanks.

Osi,

It does have really nice sound, much fuller than my Sankyo 600. Though I've only watched one test film through it, the image does seem sharper than the Sankyo and my Eumig 607/610s. It's also the quietest Super 8 projector I've owned.
        Maybe we should rebadge the projector as the Yashica PDX-810?

- - - - - - - - - - - -

P.S. It's raining today, in case you were wondering.

Comment

Hideki... Rain down here too in SoCal beginning of the week... Reminded me of Oregon. I spent every summer with my grandparents and cousins on the family ranch. It was located on the main road going up to Mt. Hood near the Sandy River. They filmed a lot of scenes on our property in the 1952 James Stewart movie Bend in the River. Lots of great memories.

The little monitor on the P810 is really cool. Just push the little white button on the side lift up from the bottom and it should detach. Then attach it to the front lens pressing down on the white button. Turn the lens all the way towards the projector before attaching the monitor then you can use the focus knob to adjust the focus. You can then run film and preview it using that little screen. Sorry I couldn't get a really good picture off The screen with my cell phone... But I think you get the idea.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20221111_232305611.jpg Views:	0 Size:	130.0 KB ID:	68691 Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20221112_005356626.jpg Views:	0 Size:	104.7 KB ID:	68692 Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20221112_005528632.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.3 KB ID:	68693 Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20221112_011135995~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.9 KB ID:	68694

I've always used this projector for transferring film audio to digital. It had the cleanest sound and required minimal restoration filters in post.
          Last edited by Janice Glesser; November 11, 2022, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Wow, that's very clever & convenient! Your photos are fine. I'm familiar with Eumig's external attachment for viewing but had not seen one that stores away on the projector. Bonus!

Bend in the River! Also had a young Rock Hudson, I think. Haven't seen it since VHS days...

As you likely know, Cottage Grove is known for Buster Keaton's The General, the homecoming parade in Animal House and some railroad track scenes in Stand By Me.

Thanks again, Janice!

Comment

Hideki welcome to the forum! You have come to a great place full of wonderful people, and lots of knowledge! I've been following this thread since you first posted here. So did Janice's post help you to fix the issue? The Yashica seems to be a well made projector with nice specs. Anyways nice to have you onboard.....

Comment

Originally posted by Hideki Tomeoka View Post
                Bend in the River
                As you likely know, Cottage Grove is known for Buster Keaton's The General, the homecoming parade in Animal House and some railroad track scenes in Stand By Me
                I knew about​​​​​​ Stand By Me but not about the other movies... Very interesting. I haven't been to Cottage Grove in years but remember it being a nice location.

I sent you a PM if you need the user manual.

Comment

Shane, thank you for the welcome! Yes, Janice's photo helped me re-attach the lever and the film loop is nice and consistent now.

Comment

Originally posted by Hideki Tomeoka View Post
                    Shane, thank you for the welcome! Yes, Janice's photo helped me re-attach the lever and the film loop is nice and consistent now.
                    That's great news Hideki! There's nothing better than fixing a projector, and having the film run smoothly!

Comment

Shane C. Collins It's equally satisfying to HELP someone repair one of these 📽️📽️wonderful old machines. 📽️

Comment

Originally posted by Janice Glesser View Post
                        Shane C. Collins It's equally satisfying to HELP someone repair one of these 📽️📽️wonderful old machines. 📽️
                        Janice you are so right, I couldn't have said it any better! It's satisfying to know we are also helping to keep this hobby alive and well, and keeping these machines in running condition. I've learned a lot just being a part of this forum, and speaking with kind folks like yourself. I'm a member of a few other sites, but this is still my favorite...

Comment

Hi Janice. The info you and other posted here is really useful to me too, thank you 8-). I am new here on the 8mm Forum only just got a Yashica P810. And I believe you have a manual for it? Is it possbible to get a link please? I love the P810 and have to do a few things to it including getting a little supply arm belt that drives the shutter. I am using a work around for it with 4x elastic bands. Working for now but for how long i don't know. Many thanks
                          Last edited by Emmanuel Joseph; July 26, 2023, 01:31 AM.

Comment

Welcome to the Forum Emmanuel. Please send me a PM to request the manual.

Comment

Working...
                            X