Attention Paul Adsett!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention Paul Adsett!

... my trusted Eumig friend, or anybody else who knows what needs to be done. I want to clean these "rubber drives" on my Eumig 926 stereo projector. I opened up the back to locate the rubber drives, and didn't see them. Paul, could you post some photos of exactly what I need to clean, and how to clean them? Also, I bought some "lith ease" lithium grease. Will that be an appropriate lube? What exactly do I lube? Can you point it out? I am going to do a complete overhaul of my two 926's. I thank Paul and anybody else, ahead of time.

I know Paul has mentioned in the past that he uses automotive belt dressing, and I do the same. I'll let him explain how he cleans the discs. Here's how I do the cleaning. I first clean the discs with cotton swabs dipped in alcohol. I then follow this up by applying CRC automotive belt dressing. I soak several cotton swabs and coat both discs really well. I then let the discs sit for several hours to allow the dressing to soak into the rubber. Once this time has passed I fire up the projector and it gets up to full speed.

Comment

Osi it doesn't appear as though this model uses the rubber discs. I went to Van Eck's website and the 926 uses a standard rubber drive belt.

Comment

Osi the 926 uses the traditional rubber drive discs to provide variable speed capability and then a toothed belt drive to the main drive shaft of the projector. I am out of the house right now but will post some pics tonight. But as Shane has stated Cleaning the rubber discs with alcohol followed by treatment with belt dressing is the way to go.

Comment

In this model you have to take the front off to get to the drive discs, they are directly behind the rotary speed control. They are in a completely different (lower) place to earlier models as the drive onward is by a belt they are not connected to a main shaft to the intermittent mechanism. I believe with this set-up you can change the speed during projection, but wouldn't want to try it just in case after all these years.
          Last edited by Brian Fretwell; November 11, 2022, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Well, I have a start! I now where and which cover to take off to reach my objective!

Comment

Osi,you need to remove the front (lamp house) cover with the single black screw located just to the left of the loop restoring lever. The rubber discs are then accessible for cleaning and treating, located at the speed control knob.
              I will post some pics tomorrow on locations for grease and oil lubricant locations for the rest of the mechanism.

Comment

I look forward to those pics!

Comment

Rubber drives cleaned! It looked more like just dust than anything else. Now, to lubing the right things, the right way! BTW, to the right, of the right rubber drive, is the belt that comes down to a plastic portion, upon which the belt rests. The funny thing, is that there are two of these "grooved" plastic pieces, upon which the belt rests, but whether going forward or reverse, the belt doesn't move over to the left grooved "wheel" portion. So, the question is, what does that left grooved piece do? It seems to have no purpose!

Comment

Originally posted by Osi Osgood View Post
                    Rubber drives cleaned! It looked more like just dust than anything else. Now, to lubing the right things, the right way! BTW, to the right, of the right rubber drive, is the belt that comes down to a plastic portion, upon which the belt rests. The funny thing, is that there are two of these "grooved" plastic pieces, upon which the belt rests, but whether going forward or reverse, the belt doesn't move over to the left grooved "wheel" portion. So, the question is, what does that left grooved piece do? It seems to have no purpose!
                    I'm not an expert on this model, but could that other pulley be for 50 Hz? Some projectors used 2 pulleys, one for 50 Hz and one for 60 Hz.

Comment

Shane has hit the nail on the head, the purpose is exactly as he has stated, The belt can be moved to either set of pulleys depending on 50Hz or 60hz mains. Leave well enough alone here Osi.
                      Here are the accesible lubrication points that I lube on the 926GL. I use Superlube Synthetic Grease for the greasing areas, and Zoom Spout Oiler for the oil points. The Zoom Spout Oiler is great as it comes with a retractable 6 ins long nylon oiling tube - ideal for getting a drop of oil into those confined areas. Both these items can be purchased at Ace Hardware Stores in the USA.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Slide1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	162.0 KB ID:	68725 Click image for larger version  Name:	Slide2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	162.1 KB ID:	68726

Comment

Thanks Paul. We have an Ace Hardware just down the street, and that oiler can be used for other machines as well. I'm glad that, now that we are totally moved in, I have the freedom to do these overdue tune ups of my projectors.

Comment

Paul what an excellent guide with nice photos! Your posts are always well written, and your last one is very detailed. Osi is in good hands here..

Comment

Shane, thank you for that nice comment - greatly appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                            X