Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Osram EFP bulb 64627 (50hrs lifespan) vs 64629 (600 hrs) what is the difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Osram EFP bulb 64627 (50hrs lifespan) vs 64629 (600 hrs) what is the difference?

Hi all,

I have just realized that Osram makes 2 type of EFP (100W 12V) bulbs which every aspect is the same except for the lifespan. The 50 hrs is coded 64627 and the 600 hrs is 64629 while the price is merely the same.

Surely if we can choose the longer lifespan is better but there must be something specific usage for respective bulb.

So which one is for 8mm projector?

And what is the significant purpose respectively?

I would suspect the 600hr lamp has a lower colour temperature and lower light output, maybe designed for dental light or display lamp use not cine projection.

Comment

Apparently, the 627 has Xenon instead of Krypton as a filler gas and 10% more output. How much that helps you, I am not sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Fretwell View Post
        ......I would suspect the 600hr lamp has a lower colour temperature.....
        Both lamps have the same colour temperature. 3200k.​

64627 HLX | OSRAM PIA​

Comment

Now I am getting more confused... any helps to clarify what is the diffeence? Just for a side note, Osram website also says the 600hrs is intended for Projector.

Comment

I have always found the 50 hour bulbs are brighter for projection, so I stick with them. Those 600 hour bulbs normally are less bright, and not to my liking. But, if you're using say a projector with a brighter 1.0 or 1.1 lens you may not notice the difference. My recommendation would be to buy both, and then see which one you like better.

According to Osram's website
            • OSRAM HLX® lamps provide 10% higher luminous efficacy compared to standard halogen
            ​

Comment

The higher life bulbs are generally more yellowey, and don`t carry the colours or clarity through to the screen as well.

Well, seems like that to me. The 50 hour ones always seem to give you much more bang, for your twang.

I tried a few 300 and 500 hours ones, in a Stingey Back Firing moment, then rushed back to the 50Hr Osram Xenophots.

At least, for now, it looks in the UK, that Halogen Bulbs are safe for a while !!! Hope so.

I ordered some Xenophot A1/259`s for my CL 16mm, but they sent me Philips instead.

These are the std 50 hour ones and I have to say they are very nice, and bright, but even so, seem to last a lot longer than the Osrams ?

I`ve not tried the Philips A1/131 or A1/232`s though ? except old stock ones way back in the past.

I have two 500 hour A1/259`s sat in a drawer, Oh dear. Gawd help the 1000 hour ones.

I would only use them in an absolute, films needed !!! emergency. Whatever that might be ? if ever.

Best wishes Mark.

Comment

I've only used the Osram 50 hours bulbs in my Elmo 16CL. I have had a couple burn out immediately after installation. However most have been fine. I might give the Phillips a try after reading Marks comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Janice Glesser View Post
                  I've only used the Osram 50 hours bulbs in my Elmo 16CL. I have had a couple burn out immediately after installation. However most have been fine. I might give the Phillips a try after reading Marks comments.
                  I too have had issues with those Osram bulbs burning out early. I've decided to stick with other brands and non-HLX style bulbs. The Eumig I'm using uses those FCR pin bulbs with a condenser lens. The Osram I bought last month burned out seconds after it came on. I then order a vintage old/new stock Phillips and that has been working good ever since.

Comment

We have one of the Xenon type on order typically designed for Endoscopy I understand. Always interesting to have a little research project underway with film and so we will carry out some tests.

Comment

Strange the last time I had an endoscope examination it seemed to use colour sequential high power RGB LEDs for a colour image. I only flicked my eye over them (due to safety warnings about bright lights) and could see they weren't all on that the same time but in sequence. The picture on the monitor was in full colour.

Comment

We used a LED one on the Church drains worked very well when I was one of the property guys. Tech has Reelly come on since LED cold light. Linked to a mobile phone amazing.

Keen to see what these 500hr lamps.look.like and perform.

Comment

Working...
                        X