Securing beginning of leader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Securing beginning of leader

Based on my experience, the leader of most films is secured by using a special tape so the film will not unwind in the can. I have recently purchased a couple of films where the seller used plastic clips that hold the end of the leader in place. See attached. I would prefer these to tape, but are they common and/or acceptable for this purpose? I’ve never seen these before. Thoughts?
    Attached Files

I always use clips. Usually, the small piece of tape comes with new films.

Comment

Those yellow clips were on every 50ft reel when they came back from Kodak processing.

Comment

I use tape on my 16 mm films since I have a slot load projector. I don't use tape on 8 mm because they are all autoload and I don't want to have any tape residue. I have a few of those clips which I have used to secure The leader on my really full reels.

Comment

Bonum put red clips in with every empty reel the sold as well as a Standard 8 converter centre. With new computer 1/2 tapes in the 1980's they had a short plastic strip that stuck without adhesive static or just the smoothness kept them in place. I don't know if they are available now.

Comment

Here they are.
            10 x Original Kodak Cine Film Clips For Securing The End of Films on Spools | eBay

Comment

You can also buy these from Van Eck. They work similarly, and have a slot on top for the film to slide into. I've never seen those orange ones, I like the design! https://van-eck.net/en/product/film_...lm_-10_pieces/

Comment

Originally posted by David Strelitz View Post
                Those yellow clips were on every 50ft reel when they came back from Kodak processing.
                Interesting. The lab where I had my films developed 40+ years ago used tape to secure the film. I’ve never seen those clips until recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Bickford View Post

Interesting. The lab where I had my films developed 40+ years ago used tape to secure the film. I’ve never seen those clips until recently.
                  Kodak here in the UK used them on Std8 certainly from the late 50s when the grey reels were supplied post processing. I must have seen many thousands of them with transfer work. At some point with sup8 Kodak returned film on black 50ft reels which had a clear flexible bracelet to retain the film.

Comment

Dave B - That sticky tape that they use is one of my main gripes. Why oh why did they insist on using sticky tape that feels as if it had been reinforced with super glue ? It is murder trying to unpeel it for the first time. THEN it leaves a sticky deposit on the film itself both at the very start and also on the bit of film that it is attached to precisely one revolution of the spool. The net result is that one either suffers two sticky deposits going through the projector gate, which doesn't do anything any good, or you are forced into cutting the film and thus losing some of the leader.

It never ceases to amaze me that the film companies did not seem to recognize this and use a lighter "film friendly" sticker, or that the collecting public never seemed to object to it in the first place, all those years ago.

Here endeth the gripe !

Comment

Working...
                    X