Is This S8 Film exposed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This S8 Film exposed?

I have inherited and been gifted a number of cameras over the years including four 8mm movie cameras that use the 'double pass' system of flipping the 16mm film after running it thru once to then expose the other side before sending off for processing.
    I found a full roll of this film and was wondering if there is a simple and for sure to discern whether it is either half or fully exposed? Or not at all.
    I'll likely send off to Film Rescue International either way and let them process it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1076.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	70664Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1071.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	70662
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1074.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	70663

Take your film to a dark room. Then remove the band and check the end of the film. (Cover the film with e.g. a towel so that only the last centimeters of the film are exposed to light when turning on the lights again.) It should have 1/2, half, EXP or exposed printed onto it. Then it’s exposed (at least the first part). Now turn off the lights again, put that band around the film and put it back into the box.

Comment

Depending on the year and manufacturer, the letters might be punched into the film (as small dots) instead of being printed onto the film. (Not sure whether Kodak printed or punched.)

Comment

Darryl, that is a roll of double 8 film, not S8. There is no way to determine if it was exposed except to develop it.

Comment

>>> Darryl, that is a roll of double 8 film, not S8. There is no way to determine if it was exposed except to develop it. <<<<

That makes sense - since theoretically, if it had been run through twice, the 'same' end would be 'out' as before it was run through twice.

Comment

https://www.flickr.com/photos/goodimages/136854876
            This is some half exposed Kodachrome… (I’m a little bit confused as Kodak used „EXP“ in combination with „HALF“. Other manufacturers only used „EXP“ or „EXPOSED“ to mark the end of the second run.)

Comment

The take-up spool supplied with standard/regular 8 cameras usually have a 1 printed on one side and a 2 on the other side. This is to show whether half of the film or both halves have been used.

If the spool shown has no markings as described, and one, perhaps, Kodak; then it's either been exposed twice and can be processed and split to 8mm width. Or, perhaps it's never been exposed.

Only a trip to a film lab will explain the situation. If the film is Kodachrome (colour) there are very few labs still able to process, but will probably be able to provide a black & white copy.

Comment

Working...
              X