Christmas Screenings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Screenings

Alrighty! We started our own personal Screenings last night, and we started with the fairly rare super 8 feature, "The Great Rupert", starring Jimmy Durante! This was released in 1951 by George Pal, with a wonderful stop motion animated Rupert! Merry Christmas!

Today, it was Mickey's Christmas Carol. The box states stereo, but the recording is very subpar, with nearly "blurry" audio. Definitely a re-record prospect. All of these new releases, with they're truly hi-fidelity recordings, makes putting up with yesterday's "stereo" recordings almost intolerable. Oh, we also watched "Moles Christmas"!

Comment

Agree Osi. I must have re recorded most of my collection myself, I just can't suffer bad sound.
      My dad a Kentish master farmer was also a band leader so very fussy on sound quality and presentation. We inherit these things I guess.
      ​​​​​​​Mind you all the pro projection guys/gals would aim for projection perfection all part of being a show person.

Comment

Very true, Lee! Last night's selection was the 1951 "A Christmas Carol" feature! Also, Tom and Jerry's Christmas cartoon!

Comment

Last night, we kept it shorter, by watching the classic WDHM 400ft, "A Walt Disney Christmas", in which, instead of 5 cartoon excepts, there are only four, which allows for more time per cartoon. Luckily, our copy is an Agfa print, so the color is still pristine!

Comment

OK, I couldn't hold back with such a " cloud of witnesses ", so we watched the "Snowman", I think our print was a later print, as it has a few splices to the negative, but a lovely film, Tobe sure! Beautiful score!

Comment

Well, it isn't technically a Christmas film, but we watched the Disney animated, "Prince and the Pauper"!

Comment

Last night was kind of an opening volley: We opened with Mr. Mannering's Christmas Trailer Reel (#1) and then the 16MM Christmas in Germany: a Story of Giving. -a story about a young girl in Frankfurt just before Christmas and her idea to surprise a lonely, elderly neighbor with a gift. It's set largely in the Christmas Market there and reminds us a lot of our own Christmas in Germany now four years ago and how special it still is to us.

After that, we streamed Lightyear. It's pretty good, yet kind of a mixture of references to a whole bunch of different movies. We counted Star Wars (of course), Star Trek, The Martian and of course a lot of echoes of Toy Story!

-somehow it felt very familiar, especially for a movie we'd never seen before!

Comment

Osi

It might not be exactly a Christmas theme movie, but I think its a good choice for this time of year.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	P1310564.jpg Views:	0 Size:	142.5 KB ID:	71109

Comment

Well ... There is snow! This one has a better stereo soundtrack. I'm really glad for our modern suppliers of soundtracks, as they are àble to get as much out of a soundtrack, but maybe that was because of the high speed recording units that Derann used. Efficient, but not high on Fidelity.

Comment

Last night was really great! Italian dinner for our whole family at 'Il Pescatore'', a great family run Italian restaurant near here, followed by a super 8 film show accompanied by red velvet cake and ice cream! The films shown on the soup'd up 250w GS1200 were:

Christmas Trailer Reel
                      A Walt Disney Christmas ( great print with no fade}
                      The Snowman ( with re-recorded stereo}
                      The Bishop's Wife - digital feature on the Panasonic AE 4000

What a great time of year to be a film collector!

Comment

A surprise Christmas film that I forgot I have, " How the Animals Discovered Christmas". It was a Coronet film, made for children's classrooms, which Blackhawk Films released on super 8! It has a little fade, but still enjoyable, plus assorted cartoons!

Comment

I have "Peace on Earth," the MGM cartoon, and it must be LPP because it still looks gorgeous.

Comment

Oh, man. I worked for the TV company that distributed the Alastair Sim version. I ordered a 16mm print to screen so I could write publicity about it (I was their marketing person) and I could've kept it. That was back in the 80s when I was 12 years old, so...

Comment

I watched the Disney Christmas reel, WDHM Buck labs on Fuji, it was a little pale but all the colours are still there. Then I watched the Derann release of Santa's Workshop on Agfa to remind me how it originally looked.

Comment

Working...
                              X