HID 150 Lamp Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HID 150 Lamp Conversion

There are many conversions using the Xenpow 150 HID Lamp, but has anyone used the Osram HQI-R 150 HID Lamp as it is a comparable price. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1354.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	710
    Picture: Xenpow 150 HID lamp above.

No.
    My Bell & Howell 644 has the Xenpow 150 HID . And very good it is.

Maurice

Comment

How much brighter and whiter than halogen 36v 400w would this be?

Comment

Colin
        Are you asking about the Xenpow 150 HID? If so, it has a light temperature of 6500 degrees Kelvin (like the sun), whereas the A1/239 36v 400w is only 3200. A very poor second.
        I can assure you that the Xenpow's light is very bright and extremely white. Yes, it's expensive but it does have a life of 1000 hours.

Maurice

Comment

So do you get any Ozone or smells off a HID Lamp Maurice ?

I`ve never liked the idea of the ozone some lamps give off.

It does sound like a great upgrade.

Best Mark.

PS do you need a douser etc for this lamp Mark /Maurice ?

Comment

No smell at all. As the lamp has to stay on all the time of a film show it has to have a dowser. It also needs a separate power unit called a ballast.
            Here is some data. You will see it is permanently wired so no pins or lamp holder socket to corrode.
            https://www.djkit.com/replacement-la...-150-lamp.html

Maurice

Comment

Looks good Maurice, anyone fitted them in to an Elmo ST 1200 ?

Would its mini douser be enough ? also would it need an extra fan in whatever machine ?

Were do you get the power units Maurice ? Thanks.

Best Mark.

Comment

My conversion is in a large 16mm Bell & Howell model 644. The fan was removed to make room for the ballast, this originally would have cooled the 1000w lamp, but now a small new electric fan was fitted which stays on all the time.. I can't see that there would be enough room in a Super 8 projector. A dowser has to completely block the light beam. A ballast would probably be available from any source that sold these lamps,

Maurice

Comment

Are the lamps available without the built-in reflector? I would need to use it in a 35mm lamphouse.

Comment

Colin
                    I would doubt it.
                    However, I have looked up the lamp which Mark spoke about in the first posting. It seems it might be useful for your 35mm lamp house.
                    https://www.any-lamp.co.uk/osram-pow...hoCva0QAvD_BwE

Maurice

Comment

Thanks for that Maurice. 12000 hours and a great price. I'm wondering what ballast I would need with that. Would the PowertronicbPTi 150/220 work?

Comment

Just a thought. I could use the Xenpow 150 if a lamphouse could be constructed using parts from an Elf and adding a condenser lens in the front. Would there be a heat issue? Does the Xenpow create much heat?

Comment

Very little, only 150 watts. Hence its name ! I've no idea about the other lamp, sorry.

Maurice

Comment

I have this unit fitted to the gs 1200 by bill parsons, incredibly bright lamp, and if you shop around you can get the lamp cheaper, the disco suppliers tend to charge more for these. The compact power supply I have is not available any more, but there are alternatives out there. I have found a disco light that would provide all the necessary hardware to fit to a projector for £40.00. although this would be a 16mm projector not 8mm, but the hardware could be fitted to an exterior unit. The reflectors in the high end nightclub lighting are vary much like a 16mm projector, and the lamp plus hardware maybe able to be used and transplanted into a 16mm or 35mm projector, and the lamps are available in different formats, all hid based. The lamps for these are now made in china so are widely available at reasonable money.....

Comment

I made a small lamp house for my Kinoton 35mm out of aluminium sheet and fitted 3 large silent computer fans for the cooling. Worked really well for me and easy to make.

As posted here before I've converted 5 Eumig 810 dual gauge sound projectors to the Xenpow lamps without issues. The standard 8mm films have a new whole lease of life in particular.

Comment

Working...
                              X