So mad #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So mad #2

Now the damned thing just stopped mid-film! Not even the motor runs. Light is ok. WTF?
    Attached Files

Last edited by Dave Bickford; December 23, 2022, 04:20 PM.

Comment

No replies so I guess I’m f****d.

Comment

Hi Again Dave,

These have a motor power power supply that regulates the frame rate. Either yours has died on you or the motor or something else in-circuit has opened up. (Some wiring, one of the motor switches for example.)

Are you good with a voltmeter?

Comment

I would follow Steve's advice. You could also bring to Optech. John is very good about this stuff.

Something like this happened when I was running ST-800 machines. The machine was scrapped and I went back to ST 1200's for many years before finally getting to GS 1200 beasts...all with no regrets.

In a strange way, these kinds of moments are part of what makes this hobby so unique: These issues increase the drive to want to work with vintage equipment, and run movie film prints at home.

Video can be very good. But for me - it will always be boring.

Comment

I wonder if it might be a fuse. It was exceptionally windy yesterday with scattered power outages. I may have taken a power hit at that time because I noticed three circuit breakers in my apartment were tripped this morning (including the one for my heat. Brrrr). Something to check after the holidays.

Comment

Unfortunately when you have events like storms you can get voltage bursts on the power lines and get damage to circuitry.

I have this kind of unconventional home theater setup that includes (right now) two S8 machines, a 16mm machine, a video projector, a video player, an audio mixer and an amplifier. (I plan to simplify after the New Year!)

The power for all this comes in through a surge protector and if I know I’m not going to be using it for a while I unplug power.

Comment

Hmm…so if the main power fuse blew, presumably the bulb wouldn’t light (it does). Guessing the amplifier fuse is irrelevant here. I’m not very optimistic. For shi*s and giggles I’ll open it up tomorrow for a peek to check the status of the fuses. 🤷‍♂️ Click image for larger version

Name:	26036206-FE96-467B-9950-BBCE75818FDC.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	71467

Comment

I’m guessing you are more like to find damage on the power board or maybe the pass transistor that controls the motor voltage.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Klare View Post
                    I’m guessing you are more like to find damage on the power board or maybe the pass transistor that controls the motor voltage.
                    You are not wrong. Gonna open it up tomorrow hoping for the best, but knowing I’ll likely be required to have it serviced professionally. At least I have someone local (ish) that can service it.

Comment

Snaps from my phone Click image for larger version

Name:	D5BD188C-C472-4907-92C9-8EA53719F28E.png
Views:	244
Size:	618.8 KB
ID:	71473 Click image for larger version

Name:	5C921CB8-AC48-476F-BC3E-01D9F7E3751F.png
Views:	261
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	71472
                      Attached Files

Comment

Chip, really trying to avoid a drive to Andover, but if that’s what I need to do, then so be it! We shall see.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Bickford View Post
                          Chip, really trying to avoid a drive to Andover, but if that’s what I need to do, then so be it! We shall see.
                          As feared, the fuses are intact so it would appear something in the motor control circuit failed. *sigh* Looks like a trip to Andover is in my future. This is such a nice projector overall and in context not very old, so I’d like to give it a second chance. 🤷‍♂️

Comment

The question stands:

-are you good with a voltmeter?

One of my other hobbies is (or has been) working on old cars. I still have an old car, just no spare time to really do anything with it right now. A friend told me that the skills to keep an old car running are becoming scarce among modern mechanics who are used to working with computerized diagnostics and may know more about hybrid EVs than they do about carburetors and breaker point ignition systems. To have a fifty year old car generally requires the owner to learn these systems: be their own mechanic.

-part of this hobby is dealing with 40-50 year old machines and dealing with their ailments. This can come down to knowing who to ask, but it may come down to acquiring the knowledge for your own self.

If you have it within you to either deal with this or learn how, this actually may be an opportunity for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Klare View Post
                              The question stands:

-are you good with a voltmeter?
                              I haven’t used one in over 35 years. Without a schematic I wouldn’t know all various points to check for voltage. I guess the first step would be to see if the motor is being supplied the proper voltage and work backwards from there.

I did get in touch with Optech via email. Awaiting a reply to see if they can work on this particular make/model. I also have a friend that does engineering work for local radio stations so he might be another source of help. He’s an electronics repair genius.

Comment

Working...
                              X