Trouble with Splices on Elmo ST-1200HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with Splices on Elmo ST-1200HD

My Elmo ST-1200HD seems to have developed some difficulty with splices. It will often lose the lower loop at splices points, causing an unsteady image. Sometimes the loop former can correct this with just a touch or two; other times the jittery picture is more persistent and requires me to stop the show and try a manual rethread. I've consulted the service manual, but haven't been able to figure out a solution.

It's worth noting that this projector was new old stock when I purchased it at an estate sale a few years back. I changed all but the counter belt, but have done no other maintenance to it. I'm sure there is some lubrication I should be doing. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Sometimes, whether it's a tape splice or a cement splice, it's easy for sprocket holes to become partially obstructed and then argue with the claw.

Why not identify a troubled splice and have a look with a magnifying glass?

Comment

Is this happening with every splice? Specific prints? Randomly?

Comment

No, it's not happening with every splice, but it does seem like it's happening more and more as of late. I've definitely encountered it often with tape splices of various varieties (guillotine, presstape), and I believe also with cement splices. Didn't keep such great track of the specific instances, to be honest. At first it was just a minor inconvenience, but now it's becoming more of a regular disruption. I'll take a really close look tonight or tomorrow at one particular reel that was giving me a lot of trouble this past weekend.

Comment

My main super 8 projector is the same Elmo and it can be fussy with splices... they need to be nearly perfect not to disrupt the show.....when the loop restorer doesn’t do the trick I stop the projector and raise the top guide off of the top sprocket and make the top loop bigger. This will usually take care of it. My normal routine is to inspect and repair every print I get on the bench first so any splices get redone if they are not about perfect.

Comment

Okay, good to know. Maybe I can just chalk it up to the usual performance of this projector. The films I've been running on it as of late are a rather large collection of footage shot by a prolific Pittsburgh filmmaker in the 70s and 80s. A friend has been bringing them over periodically, and we go through a stack, so I mostly haven't been able to do proper inspections on them prior to running. Many of the splices in the films are definitely less than perfect. I'm going to try your suggestion of adjusting the upper loop the next time I encounter this problem.

Comment

That’s an old print. Have you tried lubricating it?

Comment

No, I haven't, but I did have it in the back of my mind that perhaps that might help matters. I'll have to start setting aside the reels that are repeat offenders (too much stuff coming in to lubricate everything.) Between your and Bill's advice, hopefully I can start to navigate this problem. 90% of what I watch is 16mm, and my Eiki's in that realm are much more accommodating of splices, so these hiccups with super 8 always catch me off guard. I appreciate the help!

Comment

Maybe the film gate pressure springs are dry. Lubricate a q tip with wd 40 then gently work the q tip to the springs

wait awhile before striking the lamp as it is a heat source to the flammable wd40

if you lube at 2pm you are safe to run a few hours later maybe less....etc

Comment

In the post above where I mention Pressure gate springs being dry think of it as when you're in a parking lot and you have to go over a speed bump you know how that car reacts to that the same theory applies when the thickness of the splice goes through the gate there's got to be a little give-and-take so the pressure springs will move a little bit to the thickness of the splice as it goes through if they are crusty and dry they will be harder to move therefore you have more of a chance of losing a loop or other problems

Comment

Mine does it sometimes i usually press the loop reformer lever until the film becomes steady again

Comment

Working...
                      X