The Fire at Pinedene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fire at Pinedene

Whilst i did not know "Wall Smithy" at Pinedene, there are many collectors who did and one who knew him very well was Hugh Thompson Scott". So earlier he sent me an email as i asked about Pinedene previously, i got a reply that i would like to share as i think it very worthy information that others may find interesting to read.

Wally Smith would NEVER have stored acetate film with NITRATE, he had been in film for donkey’s ‘ears, and they’re long,
    He was sold a 35mm nitrate print by a guy, Wally told me, he handled it like dynamite, it was stored outside in the same bags it was delivered in, he said he was happier it was outside, Wally was no fool, but
    I am glad he is okay, he told me he had his driving licence taken away, he had a lucky escape on the motorway, Wally blacked out, crossing all lanes, ending up in the barrier, thank the Lord.
    Also, one of his losses, would be a matched pair of ERNEMANN projectors that came from a ship that were used in a cruise ship to be broken that docked in Southampton, he told me a few tales of his experiences in film that were very interesting. He also would lose many rare DVDS, as you might be aware, many of these things are limited, indeed, check Amazon etc. So again another serious loss to our hobby, The man had a vague idea of what he had, he had been searching for a print of “Deathline” for me, for 23 years, coming to the conclusion it had been stolen, luckily, a print of “The Ragman’s Daughter” was pointed out to be on the stairs of his home by his lovely late wife, God Bless Her, Wally told me that they split up through film, it had intruded too far, I can see the lady’s point, they still loved each other, and kept in touch. The lad who ran Lone Wolf Films, told me, “If ever you go to see Wally, take a shovel, just to move the films he has”, but take it from me, Wally was no fool, he treated NITRATE as a no, no. Wally Smith is a serious loss to our hobby, although he packed in as our man Bill Parson’s stated, Wally would still ask friends or family to have a look for your title, myself, I operated a thing with Wally, that if he didn’t ring me back, in a certain time, I’d be ringing ambulance or cops, as these massive towers could collapse on the man, I have never been there, but was told they were stacked in an old bakery and were straining the ceiling!
    Hugh Thompson Scott.

I thought this information was worth sharing as the first thing i thought when i saw the fire news was that Nitrate had been mixed with other films, clearly, this was not the case.

Certainly glad to hear no one was hurt, and yet very sad to see a person's lifelong collection destroyed. I hope Wally is doing all right after all this....

Comment

I understand that there were a few films in his house and they, of course, are quite OK.

Comment

Tom thank Hugh for that information regarding Wally's films . I never thought for one minute that Wally had any nitrate stock in his huge film collection . I said so elsewhere regarding this .
        Like has been stated Wally is nobody's fool.

Comment

Will do David, thank you

Comment

Working...
          X