My Latest Super 8 Projector!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Latest Super 8 Projector!

So my go to projectors, as of late, have been the Eumig Mark S 709, and the Mark S Super 8 machine. Both are splendid running projectors, with the Mark S Super 8 having the edge, being a dedicated Super 8 only machine. But like many of you I have the projector bug once again! So I recently purchased a Noris Automatic 8T Super 8 silent projector from about 1965. This machine comes from Edwin Van Eck, and was serviced by him with new belts, etc. Now the actual machine hasn't arrived at my doorstep just yet, but probably in a week. So I've been wondering, not many people here or elsewhere talk much about these early German made Noris projectors. You hear more about the much later all plastic 70's sound versions. They seem to have fairly good reviews, but many have claimed these later projectors suffer from film jitters at times. Of course reading this has made me concerned my early all metal version of a Noris projector could suffer the same results. But, much reading about the specs of these 60's all metal machines has me convinced the film transport should be more stable and refined. These early machines have a sprung rear pressure plate, and a gate area that looks similar to the way Bolex designed the original 18-5. So I must ask does anyone here have experience with these early all metal silent machines? The other plus is the fact I can use my Eumig lenses, as this Noris uses the standard 32.5 mm diameter. Below is a photo of the actual machine I purchased.

Click image for larger version  Name:	film_118_Super-8T-automatic-synchromat_1666196038754.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.0 KB ID:	73526 Click image for larger version  Name:	il_794xN.4316791385_1srh.webp Views:	0 Size:	15.9 KB ID:	73527 Click image for larger version

Name:	film_118_Super-8T-automatic-synchromat_1666196033736.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	73528 Click image for larger version

Name:	film_118_Super-8T-automatic-synchromat_1666196037827.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	73529
    Last edited by Shane C. Collins; January 28, 2023, 05:44 PM.

Well Shane, I had one of their earlier standard 8 designs built on the same chasis and it was a very nice machine and was cleverly designed too. But you're lucky because your version uses the modern FCR lamps that are cheap while mine used expensive 12v lamps! What I really liked about my machine was the clever design for the speed control, and I assume they did not change that with the switch to Super 8. Instead of a rheostat controlling the speed they used a governor type system like was used on Victrolas for controlling turntable speed. And turntable manufacturers in Europe kept that system well into the 1940's even though the turntables had electric pickups by then and because it worked so well. My 1937 HMV 78rpm electric deck using the then top of the line hyper-electric lightweight pickup uses that type of speed control and it's rock solid on speed to this day and sounds fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph Banfield View Post
      Well Shane, I had one of their earlier standard 8 designs built on the same chasis and it was a very nice machine and was cleverly designed too. But you're lucky because your version uses the modern FCR lamps that are cheap while mine used expensive 12v lamps! What I really liked about my machine was the clever design for the speed control, and I assume they did not change that with the switch to Super 8. Instead of a rheostat controlling the speed they used a governor type system like was used on Victrolas for controlling turntable speed. And turntable manufacturers in Europe kept that system well into the 1940's even though the turntables had electric pickups by then and because it worked so well. My 1937 HMV 78rpm electric deck using the then top of the line hyper-electric lightweight pickup uses that type of speed control and it's rock solid on speed to this day and sounds fantastic!
      Thanks Joseph for chiming in! Sounds like your early Noris was quite a nice machine. The later Super 8 versions do indeed use the cheaper FCR bulb. I'm not sure if the machine coming uses the early speed control or the later rheostat. I will have to report back once the unit arrives!

Comment

Working...
      X