Syncing Digitally-sourced audio with Super 8 without Sync' Pulse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syncing Digitally-sourced audio with Super 8 without Sync' Pulse

Has anyone had any success with syncing audio from a digital source while projecting super 8? I know the Elmo GS1200 had sync' pulse, but I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with doing similar experiments with projectors that don't have this feature.

Regards,
    Clark

https://www.filmkorn.org/synkino/?lang=en

Comment

Hi Clark,
      This is something that I have done in the past week, I purchased a tom and jerry cartoon from Ebay that someone has erased the soundtrack from.
      Being a LPP print and also in scope I thought it was worth saving. I found the cartoon in stereo on Youtube and copied it over onto Audacity which can be downloaded for free. This allows for editing but most importantly allows the change in playback speed, I reduced the playback speed it by 3%.
      The problem is that we don't know the exact speed that the projector is running at as each machine will be slightly different. It's a shame that they were not fitted with a qualtz lock motor.
      I studied the film print to see exactly where the first frame starts against the video copy and then cropped the soundtrack to this frame. Knowing that when you hit the play button on Audacity it is the first frame on the film. I then attached a long white leader to the print to give a decent run in, I placed a cue dot on the leader 24 frames back from the first frame of the film. Start the projector in record mode and hit the play button when you see the cue.
      It may have been a bit of luck but this synchronized first go, and kept in sync to the very last frame.
      It is a bit time consuming preparing the track for recording and is a lot of trial and error but it can be done.
      I wish you luck.
      Steve

Comment

What happen if we record time-coded pulse into magnetic strip? and then we "instruct" the computer to start on certain time-stamp?

Ok I am not a computer-savy but today's DJ world they do not play the actual vinyl (record) but instead a time-code vinyl. The music it self is stored in the computer. When the DJ start the time-code vinyl it will send the code to the computer so the music start. If the DJ wants to reduce the speed of the music, it can slow down the turntable and the computer will slow down the speed.

By using this method, the DJ never actually changing the vinyl and need not to worry with noise of scratchy vinyls

Any thought?
        Last edited by Winbert Hutahaean; February 05, 2023, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X