Film leader material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Film leader material

I’m looking to buy another reel or two of film leader soon. This time I paid more attention to the descriptions on the web sites (eBay, Urbanski, Hollywood Film Supply, etc). I now notice it’s available in acetate, polyester, and plastic. I plan to use tape splices, so all of those could be used. Other than that and the price difference, are there any ginormous reasons to choose one over the other?

Also, who is your preferred supplier of leader and Presstapes (preferably in USA)?

Thanks!
    Dave

I buy all my film supplies from Moment Catcher Productions here in the US. They sell acetate Super 8 leader on small 50 ft reels for $9 dollars. They ship fast, and are easy to deal with. Here's a link to their page for leader film for Standard 8, Super 8 and 16 mm. as far as which is better than which, I think it boils down to how you will be using the leader film. I shoot acetate Ektachrome color reversal Super 8 film, and so I use acetate leader. I also use glue when editing my films to 7" reels. Acetate works well with cement or glue whichever you choose to use. I'm sure others here will chime in about the other leaders that are available.

​​​​​​https://www.momentcatcherproductions...ader_c_10.html

Comment

Originally posted by Shane C. Collins View Post
      I shoot acetate Ektachrome color reversal Super 8 film, and so I use acetate leader.
      Thanks for the info. So, a bit off-topic referencing the above quote: Do labs no longer attach leader to films, or do you just prefer the DIY approach? I haven’t had 8mm film developed since 1987 so I’m not sure of the current state of affairs. I have two Super 8 cameras and intend on trying out the new Ektachrome film with them so I may soon find out for myself!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Bickford View Post
        Thanks for the info. So, a bit off-topic referencing the above quote: Do labs no longer attach leader to films, or do you just prefer the DIY approach? I haven’t had 8mm film developed since 1987 so I’m not sure of the current state of affairs. I have two Super 8 cameras and intend on trying out the new Ektachrome film with them so I may soon find out for myself!
        Labs do attach leaders to processed movies. I send my films to Dwayne's Photo, and all my movies come back with a leader attached. After reviewing the movie, I usually splice it to a larger 7" reel that has other home movies. As a result, I throw away the leader that is sent in by the lab. Since I already have a leader attached to the larger reels, I don't need the labs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Bickford View Post
          ....Are there any ginormous reasons to choose one over the other?.....
          If the leaders are to be used on an auto-thread projector, acetate is probably the best. Polyester is not so thick.

Comment

I came across some very old Kodak K40 unexposed film cartridge a while back, unused and well and truly past its expired date, so opened it up and took the film out, then put it onto a 50ft reel and now use it for leader, old unexposed sound film is even better

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice Leakey View Post
              If the leaders are to be used on an auto-thread projector, acetate is probably the best. Polyester is not so thick.
              Thanks for the info. I’m having my films properly digitized in the near future, but I absolutely intend on occasionally projecting them on a Bolex 18-5L (and/or other projector) as nature intended. 😁

Comment

Working...
              X