GS1200 Brightness Test ESC vs ELC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GS1200 Brightness Test ESC vs ELC

Ever since I have been using an ELC 250w lamp in my GS1200, powered by my external 24VDC power supply, I have known for sure that the screen brightness was noticabley superior compared with the OEM ESC 200W lamp, and far superior to the 200w EJL lamp. But exactly how much of an improvement is it? To get an exact measurement I set up the GS projecting onto a 60 ins matt white screen and set up my my S8 Camera pointing at the screen. My camera has a built in reflective light meter in the reflex viewfinder, so I set the camera up so that the screen filled the field of view of the camera. With the ESC lamp I got a reading around f1.3, and with the ELC (powered through the external power supply) I got a reading around f1.9. This means that the ELC (with the external supply) is giving about twice the screen illumination of the original Elmo ESC! However, you will probably not get this level of increase if you simply put the 250w ELC lamp into the GS, as the transformer is incapable of supplying the necessary 10.4 amps at 24v, and the voltage will drop down below 24v, and of course you also significantly risk burning out the transformer.

Hi Paul!
    If you move the Lampholder 10mm back in the Lamphouse the Lightpower will go up much more. But you have to remove the Holder Shield for the reserve Lamp in the black Lamp Cover. The Focus of the 250W ELC was adjusted for the 16mm Frame and it was to big for the Super 8 Frame. So if you move the Lamp back, the beam was more concentrated on the Super 8 Frame and you will get a higher Lightoutput.

Comment

...I expect the quest for brighter light has to do with length of throw. Most Super 8 projectors have 100w lamps. Some 150w. The GS has 200w. 150w on my Sankyo 800 at 15ft, I still have the lamp switch on low! Turn it to high then black is not dark and color looks washed! Good information from both Paul and Thomas though, should longer throw become necessary.

Comment

I followed Thomas advice a while back, Thomas is certainly right, not only is the lamp better focused, but it appears that the cooling of it seems more efficient. I haven't changed a 250 watt lamp in a long time even using even at full brightness all the time
        Click image for larger version

Name:	P1170099.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	74345

Comment

If you move the Lampholder 10mm back in the Lamphouse the Lightpower will go up much more. But you have to remove the Holder Shield for the reserve Lamp in the black Lamp Cover. The Focus of the 250W ELC was adjusted for the 16mm Frame and it was to big for the Super 8 Frame. So if you move the Lamp back, the beam was more concentrated on the Super 8 Frame and you will get a higher Lightoutput.
          I also followed Thomas's advice a while back and had already moved the lamp back 10mm. The test data above was done with the lamp already moved back that amount and the gain over the ESC appears to be about 2:1. I agree with Graham about the benefit of better gate cooling in that position and I also believe the ELC gives a much more uniform illumination than the ESC or ELJ.
          Thanks to Thomas and Graham for heading me down this path. For me there is now no going back from the ELC!

Comment

Working...
          X