Rare Super 8 trailers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare Super 8 trailers

I have often wondered how many rare Super 8 trailers are out there. It is almost impossible to know how many prints
    of each title are produced. I know from experience that some titles never appear on the second hand market, but that may be due to people hanging on to them, or if badly faded throwing them in the bin. These titles from my collection may be rare?

Kelly’s Heroes plus The Raven. scope trailers. (Derann)

Ice Station Zebra/ Captain Nemo & The Underwater City/ Where Eagles Dare. scope (Cinevision)

Ohmss/ Diamonds are Forever/ Live and Let Die/ Golden Gun/ The Spy Who Loved Me. (LA Films)

Oliver! scope (Derann)

Paper Moon (?)

Im sure I will think of others later, what do you have?

Click image for larger version

Name:	75DF888D-1732-4C68-9B7B-031CB16F3E00.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	74348

I will write down a list later but this one on Super 8 Scope looks great, just a pity the video camera I used didn.t capture it fully.

Comment

A few I have which don't seem to surface very often.....

Four Weddings and a Funeral

Father of The Bride (Steve Martin)

Schindler's List

The Rock (Connery)

The Sting

A Bug's Life

Help! (The Beatles)

(None for sale!)

Comment

I have Hammer's The Stranglers of Bombay and The Abominable Snowman, both in scope.

Comment

Miles films releases scores of trailer reels on super 8, most of which I have never seen on eBay or elsewhere. Someone once put a photo of a page or two of the releases. There are lots of them!

Comment

It depends on what you like or collect. James Bond , Hammer, John Wayne, Science Fiction, Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Loads of titles and versions but quality was all over the place. The later prints were better quality but there were less available. Best option was to buy when new. Now you would be better to a digital edit. Production reels / making of for James Bond John Wayne and Clint Eastwood were always rare plus Errol Flynn trailers were few about and always hard to obtain.

Comment

Wow, that Mutiny on The Bounty trailer of Graham's is really great - love to have that one! I do have the Derann scope trailer of Oliver!, which has not faded a bit. Also the scope trailers of Titanic, Prince Valiant, Three Coins in the Fountain. and two full 600ft reels of Hitchcock trailers.

Comment

I have this one on S8 Scope:

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea Theatrical Trailer

As I recall, Thunderbird released a lot of trailers on S8 back in the 70's. They were usually on 200 ft reels, and the reels never had a theme. The 20,000 Leaques scope trailer was in a mix of flat color trailers. I think this find motivated me to buy scope lens for my Sankyo projector and sound camera.

Comment

I looked through one of my old news letters from Derann, its quite an impressive list .
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	P1320447.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.5 KB ID:	74409
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	P1320446.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.3 KB ID:	74410
                  A couple of screen shots below from Super 8 Scope trailers

Peter Pan 2003 trailer on Super 8 Scope, note the actor Richard Briers from the TV series "The Good Life", we ran this film at the cinema stunning 35mm print, I thought in general that it was a pretty good film.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	P1280941.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.7 KB ID:	74411
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	P1280950.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.2 KB ID:	74412
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	P1260023.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.1 KB ID:	74413
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	P1280954.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.0 KB ID:	74414
                  Then there is the Scope trailer of Super 8 the movie .
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	P1280998.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.1 KB ID:	74415
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	P1280999.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.6 KB ID:	74416
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	P1290007.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.6 KB ID:	74417

Comment

STRANGLERS OF BOMBAY needs a sequence doing on S8 a reelly worthy collectable.
                    Mr Formby in GeorgeInCivvySt trl was produced from my own Nitrate 35mm print and Derann, Derek was keen on the old variety stars.

Comment

Last night I did run a reel of trailers plus promo stuff that I had put together a while back on a Elmo 800ft reel. Although the picture quality of all of them is very good, its the sound quality I found, can vary from good to poor. in general not to bad

The following are flat

1...Waterworld.
                      2...Braveheart.
                      3...Pearl Harbour.
                      4...Song Of The South.
                      5....Dinosaur trailer plus promo
                      6...The Lion King plus Elton John promo
                      7...Jurassic Park
                      8....Lord Of The Rings
                      9....Castaway.
                      10....Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Other Scope trailers not on this reel are

1...Oliver "musical".
                      2...Battle Of Britain.
                      3....Star Wars Trilogy.
                      4...Star Wars The Phantom Menace

PS...Derann did release the full Scope "The Pod Race" extract with both picture and sound are really excellent, its worth adding the trailer on the front, that's what I have done

5...2001: A Space Odyssey excellent Scope trailer by the way.

A couple of earlier screen shots.

Waterworld..

Name:	P1220315.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	74478
                      Pearl Harbour

Name:	P1220344.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	74479
                      Titanic..

Name:	P1220366.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	74480
                      Castaway..

Name:	P1220401.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	74481

Name:	P1220403.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	74482
                      Lord Of The Rings..

Name:	P1220426.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	74483

Name:	P1220427.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	74484
                      Jurassic Park..

Name:	P1220437.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	74485

Name:	P1220453.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	74486

Comment

Ed, that's who I was thinking about, Thunderbird Films. Those trailer reels rarely had a theme to them.

Comment

I have a couple of trailers,

every which way but loose, scope
                          Crimson tide scope
                          Inner space
                          Home alone
                          young Frankenstein, recently purchased a month ago, this one is almost 100ft

Comment

Originally posted by Osi Osgood View Post
                            Ed, that's who I was thinking about, Thunderbird Films. Those trailer reels rarely had a theme to them.
                            Osi, it was a great scheme for marketing. Collectors had to buy a lot of trailers to get the few they really wanted. I've got about 6 Thunderbird 200 footers with about 6 trailers per reel. There are occasions when watching countless trailers without a theme can be fun. I remember a local theater ran an "all trailers" show which was about two hours of one trailer after another. It was interesting to see how trailers changed over the decades, and to see the reaction of the audience to trailers for old classic movies that most people in the audience had only seen on small black and white TV screens.

Comment

I bought a couple of "triple trailer reels" from Portland films marked "Imported", reels 2 &3, but in what looked like Mountain films boxes B&W on Agfa Colour stock so it musty have been soon before they closed. One (Bogart)had Key Largo, Angels with Dirty Faces and Crime School the other (Cecil B DeMille)Anna Karenina, The sign of the Cross and Cleopatra.

Comment

Working...
                              X