Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Standard 8mm film - identifying silent and sound film?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard 8mm film - identifying silent and sound film?

Hello,

I wonder if somebody can help me, please?

I am digitising a collection of Standard 8 cine films - 47 films in total.

The first 22 films I've digitised are definitely all silent films.

But for the remaining 25 films, I've been spooked by a very thin, gold-coloured and continuous band on the glossy side of the film, next to the sprocket holes. I do not think it is a magnetic band that contains sound, but it spooks me. It looks more like a border/edge on the film. Think I'm right in thinking that it if were a magnetic band containing sound, it would be on the opposite side from the sprocket holes. But this 'border' is above the sprocket holes, right on the edge of the film (above the lettering that says 'SAFETY').

I have never actually seen sound Standard 8 cine film, although I know it exists. But I believe it's a very rare format of cine film.

I have included two photos below.

Is anybody able to confirm for sure that this is definitely silent Standard 8 film, please?

Thanks.

Grant

8mm cine film
    8mm cine film

That could be a sound strip. Hard to tell from your picture. Here is a picture I have of one of my Std. 8mm sound films.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20230213_064104823.PORTRAIT.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.1 KB ID:	74627
    Last edited by Janice Glesser; February 13, 2023, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Your film is silent. That is not a sound stripe or it would go all the way to the sprocket holes like in the photo Janice has provided.

Comment

As Joseph states above, here are a couple of non stripe photos of Standard 8mm silent I took earlier today.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	P1320594.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	74632

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1320595.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	74633

Comment

Hi Janice, Joseph and Graham,

Thank you for your helpful replies.

Yes, looks like it is just a strange edge/border in gold - seeing the gold (a bad choice of colour!) really spooked me!

But the Standard 8 films I have look identical to your silent ones, Graham.

Really appreciate your comments, thanks - is so helpful!

Grant

Comment

The edge of the film has been exposed to stray light, probably when loaded into the camera. In Graham's example, light has also struck the edge of the sprocket holes, but fortunately not into the image area.

Comment

Hi Ty,
              Thank you for that info.
              I did think the edge of the film looked rather strange and had perhaps been exposed to light, so that's reassuring to know.
              Regards,
              Grant.

Comment

Hi Grant,

That yellow edge is quite common in standard 8. Standard 8 film is not in cartridges but sold on 16mm wide spools in 25ft lengths. There are sprocket holes on each edge. Half the width of the film is exposed in the camera then the user would have to open the door of the camera and turn the film over to expose the other half. In processing the 25ft film is split down the middle and the 2 lengths joined together to make 1 50ft film. Unlike Super 8 in cartridges, you can get light in when you load and unload the film but most of the picture should be fine.
                Last edited by Graham Sinden; February 14, 2023, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham Sinden View Post
                  Hi Grant,

That yellow edge is quite common in standard 8. Standard 8 film is not in cartridges but sold on 16mm wide spools in 25ft lengths. There are sprocket holes on each edge. Half the width of the film is exposed in the camera then the user would have to open the door of the camera and turn the film over to expose the other half. In processing the 25ft film is split down the middle and the 2 lengths joined together to make 1 50ft film. Unlike Super 8 in cartridges, you can get light in when you load and unload the film but most of the picture should be fine.
                  Hi Graham,

Thanks for such a helpful reply.

Apologies for the tardiness in replying, but only just noticed the notification alert.

This is so helpful to know!

I've seen a few similar films since making that post, but realise it is silent film. But I didn't know the reason for it. Am very pleased to know the reason for it - "you're aye learning!", my grand used to say.

Thanks, again, for explaining this.

Best regards,
                  Grant.

Comment

Working...
                  X