No announcement yet.

Eumig HID conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With 1000 hour lamp life you have to consider the cost of halogen lamps that will last that long I would think 20 lamps if they all last the full 50 hrs each.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Myers View Post
      ...Lee, (or anyone else) who has done a conversion, are you able to put up the steps involved in doing one of the HID's, It would be very useful to see...​
      1) The lamp.
      2) The ballast
      3) Separate switch for lamp
      4) Some kind of dowser.

1) The lamp comes already with two leads (i.e no pins). A suitable fixing position will be needed.
      2) Maybe difficult to find space.
      3) Lamp has to be on for full length of show.
      4) Lee has used the small knob at the rear of his Eumig 824. It's actually an inching knob.

The 700 and 800 Eumigs are already tightly packed so a conversion will require a lot of thought.

Comment

I think its worth mentioning that the HID lamp requires a very high voltage pulse to trigger the lamp ( spec sheet says 4KV). This means that for your own safety all the wiring associated with the HID modification must fully comply with required professional standards and specifications. You may get by with sloppy wiring on low voltage halogen lamps but HID is a different story. Absolutely no room for errors. Unless you really know what your doing find someone who does.
        Last edited by Paul Adsett; February 28, 2023, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Thankfully I was a telecoms maintenance technician on rota, theoretically responsible for everything from the standby generators up to the VDUs which had CRT high tension in them (higher than the striking voltage for the HID lamps). Also that the ballast I have has an enclosure over the power mains in and lamp out terminals.

Comment

Hi hope everyone is doing OK.
            The.mods to the humble Eumigs were a nod to the Xenon prototype we watched running in the 70s at a photo show. Those who obtained my hid machines were pretty much Eumig fans looking for more power on screen, or using them as a stop off for a Elmo GS1200 which would probably be souped up eventually.
            Luckily a DJ company were able to help with cooling and other information needed as they were pre led using hid daily.

The HID Eumig is for continuous projection. Start a reel ànd run till it ends, àlthough i perfected using the shutter as à dowser which for me works well.

Amps were tuned thanks to my City & Guilds piece of paper and all machines are running fine as far as I know.

For a light weight projector they can be good and work well if loved. A couple of owners are using 2400ft long play units to great effect.

The last couple of machines converted from my collection were 824 machines. These were expanded somewhat to incorporate digital lamp timers ànd digital àudio out. I use two of these side by side for Standard 8mm enjoying the switch over experience which is reelly fun.

The conversions ended with a long soak test and a PAT cert.

As far as I know the Eumig HID is the only high powered lamp projector with digital sound out, a dig lamp timer and enabled to project both Standard 8mm and Super 8mm sound film.

Comment

Working...
            X