I'm still around!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm still around!

Some of you may remember me...... not been around for some considerable time,Forum Wise. Been rebuilding my life after my wife of 54+ years died in 2015 and having undergone some major surgery recently which means I will have to take things easier from now on (dash it all, I'm only 85 going on 86!).
    So it's back into the workshop to run my eye over some of my large collection of items with a few to slimming it down before my kids have to do it. Based in East Anglia, UK....... if any one reasonably local wants to get in touch I may have some goodies available in the next few months.

Hello Martin, welcome back...I'm in the states, but looking for Super and Std 8mm RKO Comedy Shorts..Cheers, Shorty

Comment

It's good to see you back. I can't imagine how difficult that would be creating a new "normal" after loosing your wife, especially after all those years together.

Comment

Welcome back

Comment

Glad you are now in a better place after all your problems. Isn’t it marvellous to have this wonderful hobby to fall back on. Try and hang on to some of your stuff, but if you have any St 8 sound titles you want to move on give me a pm.
          John

Comment

Things have moved on a bit since I last posted, not for the better. But first I'd like to share with you a very strange story.... Back in 1947/48 my parents bought me a prewar Bing British projector and a couple of films and I was hooked! Over the years I made home movies, using a range of cameras and projectors and until recently I managed to build up a nearly complete collection of the cameras and projectors I'd used over over the years, some originals and some replacements..... despite years of searching the Bing one eluded me ... Then, about a month ago. . bingo!! Found and bought, very cheap, one in better condition than the original one!!!! Collection complete!!!!! But it doesn't end there. Browsing eBay, I came across, from the SAME Seller, a copy of the FIRST EVER FILM I OWNED as well!! It's on its way to me now. One very happy bunny!! Let's complete the story. After my wife died I was but in touch with my first ever serious girlfriend and we've been back together after 56 years of separation. My surgery last year was supposed to have removed a colonic cancer and left me free of the big C.....but following a fall in late November investigation showed that it had spread, and I now have a terminal Brain Tumour, with a prognosis of "months". The absence of practicable treatments at my age has led me to decline any intervention.....back in my own home to get on with it. Not looking for sympathy... I'm 100%vhappy with the situation. Stopped driving after 65+ years, bought a mobility scooter, equipped the house with what I need. That leaves me with just one problem....what do I do with the many items I've gathered over the years from my other interest in the technical aspects of cinema???? Projectors, editors, etc, etc. Reels. Even my two home-brewed 8mm film to digital scanners?? So, a repeat approach. UK only.....If there is anyone out there within sensible reach of South west Norfolk, West Suffolk, North Cambridgeshire that is interested in what I may have please message me and I will start listing your needs let yo know if I can help.. There will be bargains.... not interested in the money. ..just want it to go to where it will be appreciated. Martin.

Comment

Hi Martin shame i dont live closer and i totally get what your doing, its a great idea to shift all those film goodies you have to collectors, i hope they go to collectors and not people who buy for profits, but even then i suppose they would be sold on again to collectors. such a shame i not close by and good luck selling all the film items.

Comment

Martin,

What awful news. I'm in awe of your strength and resilience, and thank you for keeping us updated about what's going on.

That is a marvelous story about finally finding that particular Bing projector. I have to ask....what is the title of that film?

I'm sure everyone on the Forum will do their best to connect you with collectors that will appreciate the films & equipment you've gathered. If there's something I can do to help, please let me know.

Comment

Hello Martin
                  pm sent

Comment

Working...
                  X