Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yashica Super 40 Electronic, I wonder what its actually worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shane C. Collins View Post
    The early Yashicas, like yours, should disable the 85 filter automatically when you insert a daylight stock. There is a pin inside the camera that is set-up to do this. But be sure to test the camera first. If this is not the case then insert the filter retracting key at the top of the camera. My Yashica Super 600 came with one, and it works very easily.
    I’ll consider the first film to be run through this camera as “sacrificial” because I do intend on experimenting. My camera didn’t come with the key for the daylight filter, but as long as it can read the film cartridge properly I don’t care. And yes, I DO project! I also love digital, so films will be scanned as well as projected.

Also apologies to the original poster for sort of derailing this thread. I have a bad habit of doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Bickford View Post
      I’ll consider the first film to be run through this camera as “sacrificial” because I do intend on experimenting. My camera didn’t come with the key for the daylight filter, but as long as it can read the film cartridge properly I don’t care. And yes, I DO project! I also love digital, so films will be scanned as well as projected.

Also apologies to the original poster for sort of derailing this thread. I have a bad habit of doing that.
      Haha, yeah we are all guilty of derailing someone else's thread from time to time. Good to hear you also project. I can understand someone doing both projection, and a digital transfer. I read all the time about people never seeing their camera original on screen. That is a damn shame since they are missing out on the true beauty of film in its most organic state. Let us know how you make out with your first film!

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph Banfield View Post
        I certainly can not imagine shooting film and not viewing it like it was intended to be viewed on a projector! I think most everyone on this forum projects their films and most of the discussions here are about projectors. But I do understand that the trend now is to film and to transfer directly to digital and do all post production on the computer.
        Joseph, I agree with you 100%! I couldn't have said it better myself! A few years ago I was commenting on a Super 8 community on Facebook. I was talking about the beauty of film as seen on a projector, etc. Some young girl chimed in and asked..."What's a projector"? I couldn't believe someone who claimed to shoot Super 8 film had no idea what a projector was. I went on to tell her about how Super 8 was projected when it was first released, etc. She commented on how intrigued she was, and wanted to look up how to use a projector.

Comment

Let us know how you make out with your first film!
          Not my first film! I was shooting film from 1979 to 1987 on a cheap Chinon. Having said that, anything shot on this Yashica will be my first film in 36 years. A lot has changed! I actually still have a half-used Kodachrome 40 cartridge in a Yashica Super 60 that is now useless (battery terminals completely corroded and trigger stuck in ON position). Bought that POS in 1998.
          Last edited by Dave Bickford; March 17, 2023, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Bickford View Post
            Not my first film! I was shooting film from 1979 to 1987 on a cheap Chinon. Having said that, anything shot on this Yashica will be my first film in 36 years. A lot has changed! I actually still have a half-used Kodachrome 40 cartridge in a Yashica Super 60 that is now useless (battery terminals completely corroded and trigger stuck in ON position). Bought that POS in 1998.
            Yeah the Yashica Super 60 I have now is my second one. The first one I bought last year came with severely corroded battery terminals. I tried everything to clean them and nothing helped. That camera went to the trash since it could not be saved. This camera is mint and everything is working. I look forward to shooting a roll of Ektachrome with it in the near future.

Comment

I'd also like to add my intent here was to help Dave with shooting film and projecting. So yes I was coming into this the old fashioned way and getting proper exposure. I'm not even sure he projects, but if he does my method of shooting the newest Ektachrome will give him superior results on screen. I also understand many people today shun the idea of projecting film, and much of that is the push from online sources telling people to shoot film then watch it digitally. More power to them but it's not interesting to me. I think this approach diminishes or takes away the fun of film projection. I'm just making a point here from a different angle. I also realize I may be in the minority when it comes to film projection. I'm just a purist and can't help it lol.
              I have no problem if you want to project the old fashioned way.

Comment

Haha, yeah we are all guilty of derailing someone else's thread from time to time. Good to hear you also project. I can understand someone doing both projection, and a digital transfer. I read all the time about people never seeing their camera original on screen. That is a damn shame since they are missing out on the true beauty of film in its most organic state. Let us know how you make out with your first film!
                Shane, I derail my own threads so, I don't have a problem with it. I love the technical elements of film and I did study an Arts degree for a reason, including understanding design and editing elements, so I don't mind derailing threads. In fact I love organic conversations, which means I'll probably fit in here fine.

I was just saying it's so much easier to do non-linear editing these days than using either colour temperature adjusting filters, or colour filters in general. At best when I'm shooting film the most I would use these days is a Pro Mist filter for giving that cinematic look to shooting lights at night. I long since adapted non-linear editing because it's so much easier than cutting and splicing film and then using a transfer film to copy your edits back onto one roll of film....

No, I mean I was born in the 1980s and can still remember reel to reel editing... I just don't find any enjoyment in doing things that way. I was just establishing how I would do it today, considering I have all the computer hardware including one of the latest MacBook Pros that can render videos in 4K in literally minutes.

Don't get me wrong, I also like talking about the past also, hence my reference to other people with far more talent than what I have including Akira Kurasowa, George Lucas, and even today's masters in cinematography like Wally Pfister in that other thread (and why it all works). Cinema is one of my main loves in this world... I was just pointing out how and why modern non-linear editing makes life so much easier.

But then I'm a millennial, I DO remember when film was a thing the first time and the only option available. But being younger, I also like modern technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Orestes Roumeliotis View Post
                  But then I'm a millennial, I DO remember when film was a thing the first time and the only option available. But being younger, I also like modern technology.
                  I’m a “boomer” (borderline Gen X) but I also like modern technology. When I had my Super 8mm films (poorly) digitized 20 years ago, I imported them into an original version of Vegas and added music, SFX, and subtitles. Edited out bad tape splices and introduced cross fades. Color correction as well. It was a super fun project! I’m going to have my old films scanned again using todays frame-by-frame HD technology. I can’t wait to see the superior results!

Comment

Working...
                  X