So I rigged a cold shoe up for my Yashica 40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I rigged a cold shoe up for my Yashica 40

So, we have these cameras that are designed for the 1960s, what do we do with the facts that the "shoe" is designed for a movie light to screw in. But this is now 2023 almost 60 years ago. I picked up a few 1/4inch washers, and a 10mm quarter inch screw, as well as a cold shoe which you can either pick up off of Ali Express or alternatively, sometimes you spot them on ebay from China. China has a global shipping program for China now which makes the shipping times more palatable.

The shoe adapter itself arrived in a bit under a week from China, they handle the logistics of it. The net result is that I can now attach modern battery powered lights, as well as other things up to and potentially including sound recorders, such as tascams or other devices devices. If anyone wants more photos or information please feel free to let me know.

As movie makers we're used to hacks... Well this is mine to put a cold shoe on a 60 year old Super 8 camera. In this case the pressure of the washers, plus the screw creates a rock sold shoe adapter that can take modern devices now as opposed to old fashioned movie lights, with the extra added bonus that if you were going to attach a light to the shoe you could go with a battery powered option rather than a wall powered one.

If anyone wants more photos (or explanation about how I built this) just let me know. But until then, enjoy the MacGyver nature of the average cinematographer. This should do for lots of purposes including the one I rigged it for which is an LED fill light I have coming in the mail. But it just goes to show if you have enough know how you can rig basically anything to anything. It would work with a beauty light (ring light) or any other light really. I just happened to buy a fill light and wanted to work out how to attach it to this camera in a way that wasn't dodgy as dodgy gets.
    Last edited by Orestes Roumeliotis; March 20, 2023, 05:52 AM.

OK,

Well the light I ordered arrived today. So one with the show, the ultimate aim of this project is to be able to attach fill lights, or ring lights, and I achieved exactly what I was trying to do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed-1 copy.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	77038
    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
    X