Universal Films Travelogues of the 50’s and 60’s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Universal Films Travelogues of the 50’s and 60’s

Castle Films released numerous travelogues on Super 8 and some where later reissued by Universal 8, but
    were the original films produced in 35mm for cinema projection. They can’t have been produced purely for 16mm and 8mm.
    Does anyone know about this, and why can’t I find any information online?

Any information would be appreciated.

Everything I have read indicates that the primary source for Castle Films was old theatrical prints. For example:

Castle Films was a home-movie distributor founded in California by former newsreel cameraman Eugene W. Castle (1897-1960) in 1924. The company originally produced business and advertising films. By 1931, it had moved its principal office to New York City. In 1937, Castle branched out into 8mm and 16mm home movies, buying newsreel footage and old theatrical films for home use. Castle's first home movie was a newsreel of the Hindenburg explosion.That same year, Castle launched his "News Parade" series, a year-in-review newsreel; travelogues followed in 1938. Castle also released sports films, animal adventures, and "old time" movies.
    (source: <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Films" target="_self">Wikipedia</a>)

Comment

Hi Phil.
      I am pretty sure the majority of them were shot on 35mm. About 30 years ago I found a bunch of them in a store room in a cinema, and decided to insert one a week into the supporting programme reel after the ads, just for a laugh.
      It turned out that the audience loved them, and would come back the following week to see the next one.

Comment

Working...
      X