Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eumig Mark-S Super 8 - Light fault

Hi folks

new here. I'm after some help/advise if possible please.
    I've come into my possession my Dad's old super 8 projector. Eumig Mark-S Super 8. I'd love to get it working again for him but as you can imagine, I'm a bit low on experience in cine projector inner workings...

Basically the thing powers on, all motors engage, the spools operate as far as I can tell correctly and everything looks to run... however both side light bulbs (the little Ba9 type number plate type ones) and the main projector lamp are not working.

The side lights should be on as soon as the projector is plugged in and set to '0', and obviously when changing the setting the projectors main bulb should light.

All 3 bulbs have been tested outside the projector and are functional. I have also checked each internal wire's connectors for oxidisation and all look excellent.

It feels like this to me is an easy fix - or at least an easy 'root cause' as surely all 3 have a common point in the wiring.

The 2 green/red lights on the sound panel are working.

Does anyone have any ideas or expertise with this type of projector to point me in the right direction? thanks

Nigel
    As you say, the two white pilot lights should come on as soon as the projector is connected to the mains supply.
    But, when the lamp is switched on they both go off. (No need for them now).
    Therefore, it seems that the problem is on the contacts of the main rotary control switch, possible corrosion due to age and non use.

Comment

Nigel, your threading lamps are not lit because your projector lamp is blown. Replacing the FCR projector lamp will resolve the problem. It's a rather nice feature of the Eumig vacuum tube amp series of projectors...no threading lamps at powering on indicates a burned out projection lamp. On the other hand any one of the two, or both, threading lamps can be burned out and the projection lamp will light if it's not burned out!

​​​​​​If your tests indicate a good projection lamp and you have cleaned the pins of the projection lamps then you probably have a bad lamp socket that is not making contact.

Comment

Joseph is correct on all points! As he stated above check the lamp socket. I'll go one step further, and recommend you clean the lamp socket with some contact cleaner. You can spray the cleaner inside the area where the lamp pins make contact. I have this model, and Joseph is right these early Eumig's are splendid machines! Easy on film, and a joy to use! The semi auto-loading mechanism will never damage a film. This model is worth getting into proper working order. I can tell you they are easy to work on. And if you discover the motor mounts have crumpled, new ones are available. They are fairly easy to change. We can help if this is something you need to do in the near future. But for now, as recommended, clean those lamp socket connections.

Comment

Many thanks all for your replies and help - I shall have another check of the lamp and the socket. I shall report back

Comment

Shane C. Collins Joseph Banfield Maurice Leakey A brand new bulb, a lot of contact cleaning including the contacts from the yellow and brown cables from under the socket, and I used the old bulb to help clean the pin connectors. I now have a functioning projector. I cannot thank you all enough for pinpointing the root cause.

Comment

All's well that ends well.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Brierley View Post
                Shane C. Collins Joseph Banfield Maurice Leakey A brand new bulb, a lot of contact cleaning including the contacts from the yellow and brown cables from under the socket, and I used the old bulb to help clean the pin connectors. I now have a functioning projector. I cannot thank you all enough for pinpointing the root cause.
                Excellent news! I had a hunch you would get this straightened out! Enjoy the machine it's well made, and wonderfully put together! You may also want to treat and recondition those rubber discs. We use CRC Automotive belt dressing here in the States. Since you're in the UK you will have to find another company made product that is similar. Just visit a local automotive center and they should be able to help you out! If you decide to clean the rubber, just apply some of the belt dressing to a couple Q tips. Make sure you cover the entire rubber area. It also helps to spray the product into a cup or the cap. I would recommend spraying this stuff outside as it's pretty stinky. But the smell doesn't hang around too long. I usually apply this stuff in a 2 step process. But before doing so, I clean the rubber with alcohol on a Q tip. Then I apply the dressing, and wait 24 hours. Then go back and coat both rubber discs with a second application. I have done this to several early Eumigs, and they are working like a brand new machine. The speed is very accurate, and all 3 machines get up to speed right from the start. If your Mark S seems sluggish at first this indicates the rubber needs to be serviced. Also I would lube all the plastic gears, and oil the bronze bushings, and shaft. Sewing machine oil works well for these areas.

Comment

Well said, Shane!

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph Banfield View Post
                    Well said, Shane!
                    Thanks Joseph! It's nice to share our passion, and knowledge of these splendid machines! I've certainly learned a lot from you about these early Eumigs. I remember last year, as I fumbled around with those motor mounts, you got me on the right track, LOL. And since then, again with your help, I've serviced all 3 early Eumig machines without issue!

Comment

Shane, that's very kind of you to say. But I especially enjoy our frequent discussions and rants outside of the forum, which is a good thing or we would have been kicked out long ago!​​​​​

​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph Banfield View Post
                        Shane, that's very kind of you to say. But I especially enjoy our frequent discussions and rants outside of the forum, which is a good thing or we would have been kicked out long ago!​​​​​

​​​​

Comment

Working...
                        X