Score!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Score!!!!!!

OK, so I saw an ELMO 1200ft reel, and the eBay auction stated, ELMO 1200ft, Ten Commandments part 1", but he only wanted 25.00 dollars, so I thought, "Well heck, I can buy it, sell the reel for a profit, and enjoy about an hour of this classic film.". After I bought it, I wondered, could it even be the silent version? So I asked the seller how the color was. He said that it was very good. That cancels out the silent version. Then, I super sized the image of the reel, and it appeared to have three parts. A thought came to me ... Could this, perhaps, be the 3X400ft Marketing Films 10? Well, I got it in the mail, unspoiled a little of it, and sure enuf, Marketing Films! I then checked thru all three sections, all three are AGFA and perfect color, and unscratched to boot! So, I am happy to say that, finally, I have secured a 3X400ft Marketing Films 10 Commandments! Definitely, the score ofthis year, to be sure!

Osi,

Congratulations! Sounds like your print's color is way better than mine.

Comment

From what you said, Doug, were not all 3X400ft on Agfa? I know that, sadly, the feature versions were not on low fade, which I have never understand why, and has been discussed countless times.

Comment

By the way, I am really struck as to the color on some of these Marketing Films prints. From what I understand, Marketing Films had access to Paramount's original Technicolor negatives for a number of these prints. It must be a fact, as the colors on this print really does compare with the restored Blu-ray, which I also have and very rich saturation of color at that.

Comment

Osi,

Not all of Marketing's 3x400s kept their color. Chinatown is pink. My Ten Commandments is acceptable, but nowhere near vivid. I'll have to check to see what the stock is.

Comment

Your right, Doug. I had a 3X400ft of Black Sunday, and it was pinky as well. I think that some of this came from the original source material, as, the Marketing Films logo and the title cards for the release had vivid color with strong blacks, but once you got to the actual story, the color quality and blacks went straight downhill.

Comment

Originally posted by Osi Osgood View Post
              ...all three are AGFA and perfect color, and unscratched to boot! So, I am happy to say that, finally, I have secured a 3X400ft Marketing Films 10 Commandments! Definitely, the score ofthis year, to be sure!
              Osi, when we are talking about the color of Marketing prints there 4 possibilities that might have:

1. Eastman = will be faded to red

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	265.6 KB ID:	77572

2. Kodak SP = will be faded to brownish with some trace of other colors

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	446.5 KB ID:	77573​​

3. AGFA AG1 = will belooking good but turning to purplish (as my Raiders of the lost ark)

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	422.9 KB ID:	77574
              4. AGFA (which i dont know the code) = keep the color as LPP print which is comparable to today DVD's color​

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	438.3 KB ID:	77575

I have a clear comparison between no 2 vs no.4, which when I had no. 2 I was really happy already but when seeing no 4 was available I was so envy. Here is the screen shot of the same scene:

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	394.6 KB ID:	77577

I have also the 10 commandements from Marketing and it shows no. 2 quality. I am really eager to have no.4 and have been searching so far and with no result. At this moment there is one for sale on Ebay which shows good color but I believe it wil faal into no. 2 quality as the screen shots which the seller has provided (see below)

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	1.10 MB ID:	77578

So please help me in deciding whether to purchase it or skip it that offer.. which color quality your print has, if we use that range of category from no.1 to 4?

thanks for your help. ​​
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Winbert Hutahaean; March 30, 2023, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Winbert, I can positively verify that my print is an Agfa 4 print, all three reels, but please be cautious, as, just because mine is Agfa 4, it doesn't mean that all prints of this specific title will be Agfa 4. I would ask the seller of the print if they would be willing to peruse with they're naked eye, (well, with a lense, of course), as to whether it in fact is Agfa 4, as, you yourself have verified that one title, "War", can be on various film stock. Also, quite important, see if the person would be willing to unspool to the point, after the titles are done, as, I was once screwed with a print that the seller said was a low fade print. Well, the leader was low fade, the actual film itself, past the leader, was a fading Kodak SP!
                Last edited by Osi Osgood; March 31, 2023, 03:37 PM.

Comment

I had War of the Worlds and looked like what Winbert has posted, however, the print had a slight softness to it so I decided to sell it. I am hoping to get a 16mm print in the future. I have yet to see a good color print of 10 Commandments.

Comment

Well Larry, if you are ever the passing thru Sayre, Oklahoma, stop on by! The corn will pop, the adult beverage will pour, the projector will hum, and the Arpin shall be entertained with a lovely low fade "10"!

Comment

Working...
                    X