Newbie with a Keystone K109

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie with a Keystone K109

I just came into possession of a keystone K109 projector. I think I got a fantastic deal, as I bought it at a garage sale for $3.00! It seems to be working well, though I had to change the power cord as it was rotten. I switched out the plug adapter that attaches to the unit with a new brown extension cord.

I'm curious about several things. One is how do you date one of these projectors? The serial number is 179026. When looking on the Internet, I read that this model was made originally produced in 1953. How long did they make the K109?

Does anybody know where I can source some reels? It looks bare without the reels, and maybe a good place to buy an 8mm movie or two? My family has several 8mm movies from the 60s that my dad shot, but I'm a little concerned about running them on this project till I know how stable it is, and I won't damage the original film. Here are some photos. Tell me what you think.

Matt
    I suggest you try eBay.
    In the search put "Regular 8mm films and accessories".
    Regular 8 is important as your projector will not take the later films which are Super 8.

Comment

Heck of a deal for $3.00!!! And it has a built in film splicer by the look of it. The projectors of this period are typically built like tanks, long before the concept of throw away items, and will run forever. I would give it a drop of oil at the oiling points and a really good clean of the entire film path, particularly the gate and gate pressure plate. You might also need a new bulb, or better still convert it to low voltage halogen bulb

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Adsett View Post
        Heck of a deal for $3.00!!! And it has a built in film splicer by the look of it. The projectors of this period are typically built like tanks, long before the concept of throw away items, and will run forever. I would give it a drop of oil at the oiling points and a really good clean of the entire film path, particularly the gate and gate pressure plate. You might also need a new bulb, or better still, convert it to low voltage halogen bulb
        Thanks, Paul. I only know of two oiling points, the upper and lower sprocket shafts. I assume 3-in-One oil would work, or sewing machine oil? About how much to use? As for the suggestion of a "low voltage halogen bulb," do you have a link for one of those? I replaced the threading lamp with a night light bulb. I guess the lamp stays on even when the unit is off if it is plugged in. At least mine does. Great suggestions. Anymore?
        Attached Files

Comment

The Keystone K109 is an incredibly reliable projector...built like a tank and will most likely outlive its owners. If you need a manual to this machine or 'Brand New' authentic Regular 8mm Metal Reels ... filmforevermpe.com is your go-to source.

Comment

The K-109 was introduced in 1951. I don​t have any detailed knowledge about the mechanics of that projector. Look for further oil inlets, the most important could be above near the claw drive that sits beneath the lens. The fastest moving parts need oil more urgently. A heavier oil than what is sold for sewing machines is indicated because the projector gets warm.

Reels are found on internet marketplaces, fresh ones with several dealers.

Although I am thousands of miles away I dare to signal that I also take care of projectors.

Comment

Working...
            X