Filmmakers working in Super 8mm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filmmakers working in Super 8mm?

This was originally brought up in a thread about the upcoming CineSea gathering. I've moved those posts to this new thread, dedicated to the title subject.

Being in America, I am interested in knowing if there are serious S-8 filmmakers doing full feature films for production. Is there such a thing or is S-8 to small of a medium? I have seen the 16mm film festivals here in America. I like the idea of doing a full feature in S-8 to show on a small screen for good practice as well as expense in formulating all the aspects of movie production. Even the thought of having a group at the Cinesea asking another group to film a particular scene to help build a movie as a group effort and show the progress at the next Cinesea. Nothing on Youtube about Cinesea. Sounds like it would be a lot of fun to go to.

Comment

Feature filmmaking on Super-8 is a rare thing, but it it has been done and probably still is here and there. It's a labor of love since there are so many easier ways these days. I know of one Super-8 film about CineSea, and it's my own. Then again it is less than 10 minutes long and silent too!

Peter Flynn is making Viva Film!, a professional quality motion picture (digital video) not entirely about CineSea, but featuring it prominently.

Peter Flynn at CineSea

We got to see the latest cut of it at the last one and it was really great. I hope to be able to see this one on my own screen someday.

There are actually a lot of YouTube videos about CineSea.
      Last edited by Steve Klare; March 27, 2023, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Robert,

I personally don't know of any Super 8 features currently in production. 16mm yes, but not its little brother. A number of music "videos" are filmed in Super 8.

In his thread about CineSea 25, Steve linked to these two videos, basically short interview pieces that use the CineSea show for b-roll:

VIVA FILM! Geoffrey Curtis at CineSea

VIVA FILM! Stu Fink

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Dreyer View Post
          Being in America, I am interested in knowing if there are serious S-8 filmmakers doing full feature films for production. Is there such a thing or is S-8 to small of a medium? I have seen the 16mm film festivals here in America. I like the idea of doing a full feature in S-8 to show on a small screen for good practice as well as expense in formulating all the aspects of movie production. Even the thought of having a group at the Cinesea asking another group to film a particular scene to help build a movie as a group effort and show the progress at the next Cinesea. Nothing on Youtube about Cinesea. Sounds like it would be a lot of fun to go to.
          There are still some independent films being shot on Super 8. Here's one example of a film recently shot on Kodak Vision 3 50D negative Super 8. The movie is called "DEAD COMMUNITY GUILD". The producer's name is Emil Ink. The final digital copy has had a lot of stabilization, and other upgrades to make it look this good, but the entire movie was shot on Super 8. Also I read that the latest Spielberg movie has scenes shot with Kodak Super 8. I'm told Kodak has had a difficult time keeping up with the demand for Super 8 film. Both negative and color reversal stocks. I use Ektachrome color reversal for home movies, and sometimes it's sold out at various places I buy it from. I project only so no telecine on my end, making filming much cheaper.

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GzouxGNOK4

Comment

Shane,

I am impressed that there are films being made in S-8. In my High School years, I had a very good friend who loved filmmaking and grew up doing film work as a living. He is the one that videotaped the infamous Mt.St. Helens eruption as it occurred. He made the following trailer while living in the Pacific NW and in 16mm. He is a fantastic filmmaker. I think if he had the right team, He would develop another Hollywood in Washington State. He inspired me to stay in filmmaking. I have progressed to 16mm getting a camera, 4 gang editing table and a projector. I still love 8mm to still work with exposure readings. I believe that digital is getting pretty good but enjoy the process of editing film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJrY8ee2ll8

Comment

Working...
            X