Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have any of you ever thought of leaving the hobby?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course in Derann days 30 runs of the negative through the printer would produce 60 prints, halving the negative wear per print.

Comment

The only time I will leave the hobby is when I leave this world or am no longer able to use the equipment. The hobby will ultimately come to an end because projectors will not last forever and there will no longer be anyone with the practical skills to make replacement parts or repair faulty electronic circuits. Whether this will be in the lifetime of members of the forum, one can only speculate. However, in the meantime, because of my advanced age, I am reluctantly downsizing. I have a number of projectors which I acquired for display, spare parts or restoration projects which I no longer have the energy to complete. I am rapidly approaching my 89th birthday and am lucky that I can still move about without using a zimmer frame or walking stick but the time will inevitably come. Hence it is difficult to be able to attend the film collectors gatherings like I use to let alone cart stuff to them to sell. That is why I have to dispose of my gear from home. In this day and age it costs more to parcel up and send most items than they are worth. Ken Finch.😔

Comment

To tell the truth I can't imagine living without film in my life, whilst typing this I am looking across the room at a couple of projectors, a pile of 35mm trailers some large Fumeo reels propped against the wall. so the short answer is no.

As for producing new super 8 releases today, this is something that has to come from your heart, not your wallet.

Many years ago I decided to produce two new View-master reel sets, I commission the reels to be produced by Fisher Price, as they were the last owners of the product. When you calculate the cost of the proof reels , the production run, the shipping cost, the import duty and tax. This was a small fortune, and it didn't stop there. I must have spent two years prior to this taking the stereo images, designing the packet artwork and writing the acompaning booklet for the sets. Hundreds of hours of work.
        If it was possible to do this again today, would I ? You bet I would. Why?
        Holding those finished packets in your hand, and knowing it's all of your own work, there are no words for this feeling that you get, especially when it's going to be retailed.

Lee Mannering, David Baker and Steve Osbourne, I salute you gentlemen for doing what you have done. In a world that is not geared up now for doing this type of production run, coupled with all of the things that can go wrong at every stage of this process. It's a wonderful thing you have done for us in this day and age. But I understand Why.

Producing something like this has to come from your heart, you do it with love and passion, not for the bank balance. The real reward comes when you sell the item to someone who appreciates the work, and will treasure it as much as you do. There is no price tag for this feeling, only the knowledge that you have accomplished something good.

Steve

Comment

I was really into film when I was a teenager. You know…the annoying kid that always had a camera in someone’s face. 😁 I bought a few films from Castle or Blackhawk back in the day which I still have albeit in poor condition. In 1981 I bought a new 400’ color sound digest of “Earthquake” for $71 from Universal 8. That was a lot of money for a 17 year kid back then! Anyways, I basically abandoned the hobby in 1990 but got the itch again around 1998 when I bought my Bolex 18-5L. I used that just watch our old home movies again. I once again lost interest until recently when I began buying projectors and films. One thing I’ve learned is to avoid color prints! All the ones I’ve seen online or purchased are pink or otherwise badly faded. No problems so far with my B&W purchases. They’ve all been in fantastic condition. Some needed a good cleaning, but otherwise perfect. The only color sound films I’ve purchased have some meaning. Star Wars because I loved it as a kid, Wizard Of Oz because I’ve always liked it, Grease because of the terrific sound track, and African Queen because it was one of my dad’s favorites. Actually, I just remembered I bought a Flintstones episode (no open or closing theme, which was very disappointing) and a silent Scooby Doo episode. Not sure why I bought those. Nostalgia I suppose.

I was recently on a projector purchasing binge. In addition to the Bolex I now have a Sankyo Sound 720, Sankyo Sound 500, Eumig S910, and an Elmo ST100. All work OK, but they all need some sort of repair to be 100% like new. For example the Sound 720 is mostly mechanically fine, but the amplifier is absolute rubbish and needs to be recapped. My best projector is the Elmo, but the take-up reel tension is very weak.

So, after all that rambling…I do not have ANY intention of leaving the hobby! I’m just getting a little smarter about what to look out for.
          Last edited by Dave Bickford; April 12, 2023, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Pricing. Sadly we have to factor in import duty which others thankfully our good international film friends do not have to suffer. Brexit = many complications believe me including costs.
            The collectors who support our voluntary time and efforts are grateful , we do get some very pleasant messages of support which are appreciated.

I'm a film Collector and try to support others efforts when I can, thankfully no one is twisting anyone's arm here. For.me variety is the key and its good to be able to refresh our life time collection's with new 21st century film materials.

Dorun Films has tried to deliver a very full 200ft sized reel of film material. Its not a 200ft reel with 8 minutes on but 11 minutes. Across the board gone are the days of 3/4 full reels but overflowing ones now take place. The 600ft releases we've been able to own have been trully wonderful, or should i say Reelly wonderful.

21st century releases are something we live for if only for the memories we had as kids in the 60s and 70s when others put so much effort in to keep us entertained.

Comment

In my opinion, the smart, younger collectors smartest move, would be tobiy as many out of box new projectors now, and then, just set them aside until that day when the ones we presently use ... Croak! I'm still stunned when I see this resurgence of Super 8 releases. This far, I have bought three digests, one feature and some trailer reels, just in the last year or so, something I never thought I would ever do these days, but what a good pleasure to be able to do so in the first place.

Comment

There is no point leaving, when Film is very much Alive.
                There is something about the Joy of Film, that Digital does not give.

Fresh Film Stock in still ( 620, 135, 127, 120, 220, 110 ) and
                Movie ( 8mm, Single 8, Super 8, Double Super 8, Single Perf and Double Perf 16mm )

are all still available to Buy.

AUSTRALIA

in Melbourne VIC

https://www.vanbarphoto.com.au/

Sydney NSW

https://www.sydneysuper8.com.au/

USA

Fair Lawn NJ

https://filmphotographyproject.com/

B&H NY

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/

GERMANY

https://www.wittnercinetec.com/

And ebay for Fresh Raw Film Stock & Pre Loved Hollywood Movies

Here is a Positive Short Youtube Video about Film

Comment

Originally posted by Osi Osgood View Post
                  In my opinion, the smart, younger collectors smartest move, would be tobiy as many out of box new projectors now, and then, just set them aside until that day when the ones we presently use ... Croak! I'm still stunned when I see this resurgence of Super 8 releases. This far, I have bought three digests, one feature and some trailer reels, just in the last year or so, something I never thought I would ever do these days, but what a good pleasure to be able to do so in the first place.
                  Osi There are no new out of the boxes projectors join the real world. If they haven’t been used for 40-50 years they are likely junk depending on storage. There will be plenty of used projectors about in a few years and you know the reason why💀

Comment

Mike, from my own personal experience, I can tell you that a negative does in fact degrade after a certain point, not necessarily at 30 prints Everytime, but I did notice a difference between my first test prints of my release years ago, and the later prints. It's just normal wear and tear. It's reminds me of a number of older super 8 releases, where low budget companies would acquire a negative of some public domain title, and the resulting prints from that negative makes the first run prints from said negative look terribly tired.[/QUOTE]

Osi we are talking about a brand new negative made in 2023 sourced from an immaculate digital Blu ray source not some much copied 1970s public domain movie or some scraps of film found in a poxy shed or projection box that has been covered in dust full of splices and around in the heat and cold for years or some crap of eBay. The problems Derann and others had were they couldn’t source any decent film negatives without damage.

Comment

Mike, I was talking of a brand new negative, as I was specifically speaking of my own release some years ago, "Saturday morning madness", and yes, there was already some wear on that brand new negative. Also, I am speaking of actual, unopened, never used projectors, which, while getting harder and harder to find, are still around. For instance, old camera shops, that still may have unsold projectors in they're storehouses or basements. As I said, however, harder to find all the time. One of my two Chinons I bought absolutely brand new, just a few years ago.

Comment

Then it is down to who is doing your printing. Think the camera shop projectors are an extreme rarity now. Better to buy from a dealer a decent machine which has been checked and serviced. Other ways are just heartbreak.

Comment

I never think about leaving this hobby: for me it gives so much and asks so little. It allows me the creative aspect of building circuits for my sound setup, making my own films and putting together shows for friends once or twice a year. Because of the film gatherings, it has a big social aspect: I've met quite a few people I'm pleased to call friends. This spills over to other people in my family too: nobody in my household would prefer I switch to collecting stamps or take up the pogo-stick! They enjoy it too. If nothing else, having a little movie theater in the house may have helped us stay sane and be happier during Covid.

I've definitely slowed down buying films: I have enough that when I look on the shelves I keep seeing really enjoyable prints which I can't remember the last time I saw. To me this means I should focus more on enjoying what I have and only add on when it's something really special. Maybe this makes those few prints more special.

Equipment wise, I have a couple of really good machines including one that showed up new old stock about 5 years ago. I take good care of them: lube the guides and lubricate their gears, for example, and I rotate them in and out of service to spread what little wear they have among quite a few. We got a new microwave oven 3 months ago: I can almost guarantee this will need replacement before one of my projectors goes to the the Big Booth in the Sky! (We're running about 5 years per Microwave these days...).

I never let film be a dominating factor in my life. I have other hobbies and other occupations and responsibilities to take up my time and attention. I just try to keep all of this stuff in balance. Small gauge film is icing on my cake, but will never be the whole cake!

Comment

Mike, I certainly agree with that, a preloved, well serviced projector is a good find, from a hopefully honorable seller, buyer beware, of course. Sometimes, depending on the make of the projector, a brand new projector, out of box, might actually have some "gooey" rubber belts and such, right out of the box.

Comment

The Collector who can not be named seems to have the magnetic monopoly in locating pristine projectors. Didn’t Dracula 🧛‍♂️ get shipwrecked maybe there was a shipment of Elmos relocated n those caves round Whitby .😜😜😜

Comment

I did leave the hobby for about five years. When I moved to France in my 30's I sold off my entire collection of 8mm and 16mm prints. But just one visit to a local flea market here in France and a Laurel and Hardy film "Helpmates" started the film and projector buying all over again with a passion! But I never returned to 16mm again and stay focused on 8mm exclusively these days, but I must admit that 9,5mm is looking interesting now since there is ​​​​​​so much of that available here.

Comment

Working...
                                X