Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shinano a rebadged 8mm projector, never heard one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shinano a rebadged 8mm projector, never heard one!

With our bare eyes we all knew this is an Elmo ST-800 (but kind a rare spec since it is with magnetic & optical sound).

I never heard Shinano projector in this world of 8mm but just found it in the net.

Everything is just the same with Elmo, only one Elmo did not have.. and this is a nice one.. a hard carrying case!!

What other rebadge projector? I understand the later Bell & Howell was actually made by a Japanese manufacture, which one and who made it?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Shinano1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	203.1 KB ID:	78287 Click image for larger version  Name:	Shinano4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.8 KB ID:	78283 Click image for larger version  Name:	Shinano2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	127.6 KB ID:	78285 Click image for larger version  Name:	Shinano5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.2 KB ID:	78286 Click image for larger version  Name:	Shinano3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.7 KB ID:	78288 Click image for larger version  Name:	shinano_s305_sound_scope_sound_1598192570_93635fe5_progressive.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.3 KB ID:	78284

cheers,
    winbert​

I believe the later Super 8 B&H were manufactured by Sankyo they were very similar, only the front moulding was different.
    Last edited by Brian Fretwell; April 14, 2023, 05:44 AM.

Comment

The last 16mm sound Bell & Howells were made by Eiki, and numbered as 3575, 3580, 3585 and 3592.

Comment

Originally posted by Winbert Hutahaean View Post
        With our bare eyes we all knew this is an Elmo ST-800 (but kind a rare spec since it is with magnetic & optical sound).

I never heard Shinano projector in this world of 8mm but just found it in the net.

Everything is just the same with Elmo, only one Elmo did not have.. and this is a nice one.. a hard carrying case!!

What other rebadge projector? I understand the later Bell & Howell was actually made by a Japanese manufacture, which one and who made it?

That is quite a find Winbert. I never heard of Shinano either. I did a search and found some info at:

https://www.filmkorn.org/super8data/...rs_shinano.htm

They made five models and the one you found is the last model made.

Comment

Later Bolex 8mm projectors were Eumigs operating undercover.
          One of these was (and still is...) my first sound machine.

Going into sound after 20 years of silence was a pretty big deal!

BTW: That's more like an ST-600 or ST-180. For one thing the ST-800 was never twin track and the case is notched out to clear an 800 foot reel.

Comment

Originally posted by Winbert Hutahaean View Post
            What other rebadge projector?​
            I guess that it’s easier to list the projectors that aren’t rebadged: my parents' „Agfa“ was made by „Liesegang“, one of my „Bauer“-projectors is „Made in Italy“ (=by Silma), … in the beginning, Elmo lacked distributors outside of Japan, hence they teamed up with „Honeywell“ in the USA and „Ilford“ in the UK, selling their devices under the distributors' brandnames, … Quelle and Neckermann sold thousands of projectors under their brands „Revue“/„Universal“/„Universum“ without owning a single factory - same applies to all other chains and Mail-order-companies like Boots, Porst, … Fuji's projectors have been made by Yamawa, their splicers by LPL, their viewers by Goko, some of their cameras have also been made by other companies like Kohka, Sankyo, … You’ll not find the Canon projectors T2000 and T3000 in Canon‘s online museum (as they have not been made by Canon, but by Silma), …

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Klare View Post
              ..That's more like an ST-600 or ST-180. For one thing the ST-800 was never twin track and the case is notched out to clear an 800 foot reel.
              Yes you are right that is more ST-600/ST-180 rather than ST-800.. but to say that ST-800 was never twin track that is not correct.

We used to have this below thread at the old forum and you even joined the discussion 😊

https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-b...06030;go=newer

Cheers,
              Winbert

Comment

Seems like they just simply rebranded projectors from other brands.
                According to info Ed provided the first 3 models looked like rebranded Copal. The 4th was Chinon, and the last one was definitely Elmo.

Comment

Hi Winbert,

The ST-800 in that old thread is Magnetic-Optical, but by twin track I mean one capable of reading both the main and balance stripes for (usually stereo) magnetic sound. As far as I know, an ST-800 has never been built to do this.

Kind of an interesting lapse: there are many other Elmos that were available twin track. Why not this one?

Comment

Shinano released quite a few other Super 8 projectors in Japan. Some of their other projectors also had cases that you could put them in.

Here is a link to an all in one 25mm f3.6 Shinano scope lens. The lens came with different sleeves that you could use on different projectors.
                    https://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-b...c;f=1;t=012132

Comment

When searching for „Shinano“ on eBay, you’ll also find this motorized lens:
                      https://www.ebay.de/itm/204101100493
                      Is it really for a projector? And is it made/sold by „Shinano“, or is just the motor made by „Shinano“ (maybe even by a company that is totally unrelated to the one that sold the Super8-projectors)?

Comment

Originally posted by Joerg Polzfusz View Post
                        When searching for „Shinano“ on eBay, you’ll also find this motorized lens:
                        https://www.ebay.de/itm/204101100493
                        Is it really for a projector? And is it made/sold by „Shinano“, or is just the motor made by „Shinano“ (maybe even by a company that is totally unrelated to the one that sold the Super8-projectors)?
                        Suprisingly Shinano Kenshi is still an active company to date:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinano_Kenshi

Ps: same thing with Sankyo but now is producing unrelated projector items.

Comment

Working...
                        X