Exposing Vision3 film; exposure latitude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exposing Vision3 film; exposure latitude

Hi, I'm currently planning to shoot a film on Super 8 film, and I have a certain indoors location that under daylight is exposed at 320 ISO on a digital camera (less looks too dark without raising exposure). However, Vision3 50D stock is 50 ISO, and I was wondering whether film latitude (particularly Vision3 which has a rather high latitude from what I hear) is high enough to allow such underexposure from the scene, given that I'll be scanning the film later on? Or perhaps the image will come out really dark with no way to bring out the shadows in post, in that case I'll have to think up something, however it is complicated to light up the scene more than it already is due to various reasons.

Thanks in advance!

Hi!

„320ISO“ doesn’t help without also knowing the f-stop/t-stop and the exposure duration.

The attached photo is from a DuckDuckGo-search that found a webpage that claims that all Vision3-films have a latitude of 16 f-stops. I have not found such information on Kodak‘s webpage (e.g. not here: https://www.kodak.com/content/produc...al-Data_EN.pdf ). And I don’t know whether this is 16 f-stops in both directions (under-/over exposure) or symmetrical (8 f-stops for over- and 8 f-stops for underexposure) or whatever.

In any case: 50 ASA and 320 ASA have a difference of 8 DIN. As one DIN equals 1/3 f-stop, you’ll have 8/3 f-stops = nearly 3 f-stops underexposure. So you might be within the limits (given that the scanner is good enough to deal with this).
    But it could be that using the same f-stop and exposure duration on both cameras, the digital camera suddenly goes up to e.g. 500 ASA…
    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
    X