Nice Find!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Find!

I just bought an apparently nearly new screened Niles print of "A Farewell to Arms" (1932, Gary Cooper), for 27 dollars. Not too shabby! The super nice thing is that it had a one page unfaded flyer for Niles other recent releases at that time! IAM sure that there were other releases by this time, so these were current releases as of that time. Features advertised were Our Town ( always wondered who released it), aswellas It's A Wonderful Life, Things to Come, The Fabulous Dorseys, They Made Me A Criminal, My Favorite Brunette, AWalk in the Sun, Hollywood: The Selznick Years, as well as the release of the Beatles "Magical Mystery Tour", as well as Beatles in Concert 2, and Beatles Interview and songs, which included Penny Lane, Hey Jude and Strawberry Fields Forever! These little paperwork's were usually tossed aside pretty quickly and lost, so, in some ways, this is almost as much fun as getting the film!

Originally posted by Osi Osgood View Post
    ...The super nice thing is that it had a one page unfaded flyer for Niles other recent releases at that time! ... These little paperwork's were usually tossed aside pretty quickly and lost, so, in some ways, this is almost as much fun as getting the film!
    Here is a catalog from 1963 for 16mm rentals from Films Incorporated. You could rent 16mm scope print of a 3 year old movie for $25!

Link: https://ia800604.us.archive.org/21/i...rate63film.pdf

You can download the PDF (too large to attach it here).

Comment

Films Incorporated! I remember they're catalogs from my high school media classroom! They were big, colorful catalogs! By the time I was in high school, it was already the early to mid 80's, and by then, they were already on the outs with the Advent of VHS in the classrooms, but I loved taking the catalogs home and voraciously reading thru them over and over, dreaming of watching all of these films!

Comment

I wonder what happened to the Films Inc. library when they closed. It was a place where you could rent 16mm features from all the major studios in one place. I suspect that anything that survived has faded/turned red by now.

Comment

Well, it all depends on what film stock was used. If Agfa, Fuji or LPP, chances are it would still be good, but I am betting that the studios demanded that the prints either be shipped back or chopped up/destroyed. If memory serves me, they didn't have scope versions of features, only TV/ flat prints.

Comment

When the rental company Modern Sound Pictures was going out of business in 2006, they sold off many of their prints. I picked up The House That Dripped Blood which was in decent condition for a rental print.

Comment

Originally posted by Osi Osgood View Post
              Well, it all depends on what film stock was used. If Agfa, Fuji or LPP, chances are it would still be good, but I am betting that the studios demanded that the prints either be shipped back or chopped up/destroyed. If memory serves me, they didn't have scope versions of features, only TV/ flat prints.
              The PDF of the Films Inc. catalog is all Cinemascope features (300 of them!).

Comment

Working...
              X