74 Year old Std 8mm Kodachrome film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 74 Year old Std 8mm Kodachrome film

Well folks this Standard 8mm film deserves a special mention, due to the fact its now the oldest Kodachrome film "1949" I have sorted out, the color has held up incredibly well over those long years.

Old Kodachrome IS amazing, Graham!

When I was 17 and again at 42, I was asked to show a single roll of R8 Kodachrome (-because I was the kid with a movie projector!). It was the 25th and 50th anniversaries of close friends of the family shot on their wedding day in 1954. It was the only film they owned, so it had been shown very rarely in all those years. The color was perfect: other than the fashions and the cars it looked like it was shot and processed two weeks ago!
    Last edited by Steve Klare; April 20, 2023, 10:52 PM.

Comment

I was told years ago that Standard 8 was a superior gauge to Super 8 and in certain aspects it has proved itself.

Comment

I'm not sure of the year, bit didn't Kodachrome first appear in the late 1930's?

Comment

It was introduced by Kodak in 1935

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Klare View Post
            Old Kodachrome IS amazing, Graham!

When I was 17 and again at 42, I was asked to show a single roll of R8 Kodachrome (-because I was the kid with a movie projector!). It was the 25th and 50th anniversaries of close friends of the family shot on their wedding day in 1954. It was the only film they owned, so it had been shown very rarely in all those years. The color was perfect: other than the fashions and the cars it looked like it was shot and processed two weeks ago!
            Kodachrome was certainly an amazing film! Kudos to Kodak for developing a filmstock like this! I have someone's home movie from the Summer of 1958. It looks like it was shot some place in the mid-west. The colors, contrast, and sharpness are perfect! Steve your post from a few days ago, about those late 1970's Ektachrome films still holding up gives me hope. I've shot home movies on Ektachrome Super 8 from 2005 until last weekend. In fact just mailed some Tri-X and a cart of Ektachrome 7294 out to Spectra in Ca.

Comment

I didn't realize that it was as early as 1935! I constantly look on YouTube to find new videos of early Kodachrome, but never from 1935! That would be awesome, a mere three years after full three strip Technicolor!

Comment

I have seen pre war Kodachrome recently on standard 8 and has not deteriorated at all. Neither has the 9.5mm footage I used in a Decko camera in 1951. It was a very slow speed film and gave best results in bright sunlight conditions. Kodachrome II was faster and has also retained its colour. Ken Finch 😊

Comment

I got married in 1959 and a friend filmed it on (standard) 8mm.
                  At that time Gevacolor was cheaper than Kodachrome, so that was used, and also for the honeymoon trips around Switzerland.
                  Looking back now I should have spent more money and used Kodachrome. All the Gevacolor film has now sadly faded quite badly.

Comment

Me too Maurice! I used Gevacolor in the late 1950's and as you say it was cheaper than Kodachrome, plus I liked the look of it, as the colors were a little less saturated and more natural than Kodachrome. But today all my Gevacolor films have faded to 100% pink whereas the Kodachrome films are as good as the day they were processed.

Comment

Paul, was Gevacolor, some early version of Eastman?

Comment

Good question Osi - I have wondered the same thing. Certainly they seem to fade in exactly the same way, but withot knowing the details of their composition and processing chemistry there is no way to answer your question. Bottom line though is that Kodachrome is unsurpassed, even to this day, in reversal film color quality and stability. It was truly the Technicolor of 8mm and 16mm filming.

Comment

From what I can glean online Gevacolor was a chromogenic process, whereas Kodachrome in all its forms was always a dye transfer process as the dyes are incorporated during processing. As such they are much more stable, similar to IB Tech dye transfer prints

Comment

Wasn't the company merged with Agfa to form Agfa Gaevert? I have some standard B&W film prints edgemarked Gaevacolor and that has the F1, F4 identification after the name.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Fretwell View Post
                              Wasn't the company merged with Agfa to form Agfa Gaevert?
                              Yes. In 1964.

Comment

Working...
                              X