Lubing procedures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lubing procedures?

I asked this in another thread, but as I didn’t get an answer, I thought I’d start new thread. Are there any guides (videos would be helpful) on which parts need to be degreased and then reapply grease? What about oiling?

which products are used to remove the old grease and which type of grease should be used?

thanks

90% alcohol on a q-tip does a great job to remove old Grease. I like to use Super Lube to replace the old grease, but white lithium grease works well also.

Comment

Isn’t it better to use graphite based grease than white lithium grease? In the jukeboxes world, the preferred one is the graphite grease

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Mitchel View Post
        Isn’t it better to use graphite based grease than white lithium grease? In the jukeboxes world, the preferred one is the graphite grease
        I haven't heard anyone on the forum specifically recommending graphite based grease. Maybe others can chime in here. If you don't wish to use lithium grease then I highly recommend the product SuperLube.

Comment

Elmo recommended a Lithium based grease in their service manuals called Molykote EP for use on the Nylon cogs etc but this is no longer available. After doing a lot of research I found that this product was made by shell and is now sold as Grados. I managed to source some via Amazon.
          Attached Files

Comment

I agree with Janice, and also use SuperLube! This is great stuff, and I've been using it for about 10 years now. Some of my projectors seem to quiet down after I introduced this to the plastic gears, etc. For oil I recommend sewing machine oil. I use this on all bronze bearings, and other moving parts that don't require grease.

Comment

Good to know, thanks for this.

After how many years do I need to lube it again?

Can I also just lube over it, or do I really need to delube with alcohol first?

Do you use a brush for adding the lube?

Do you buy a small amount and buy new everytime, or does the lube stay in good condition?
              Last edited by Matthieu van der Sluis; April 25, 2023, 02:41 AM.

Comment

The lube keeps very well and should last you years. I clean old lube off gears with isopropyl alcohol and a tooth brush. I use light oil such as 3in1 on brass bearings. You only need a little grease and oil when using it otherwise it will get thrown round the inside of the machine. Don't use graphite grease as this can be abrasive and cause excess wear.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Faulkner View Post
                  The lube keeps very well and should last you years. I clean old lube off gears with isopropyl alcohol and a tooth brush. I use light oil such as 3in1 on brass bearings. You only need a little grease and oil when using it otherwise it will get thrown round the inside of the machine. Don't use graphite grease as this can be abrasive and cause excess wear.
                  Do you have a source about the graphite grease being abrasive and causing wear? My understanding is exactly the opposite?

Comment

The only reason I can think of why not to use it in a projector is that the graphite conducts electricity, so if it’s falls on the board it might short.

so from that perspective it might be better to use white lithium grease inside the projector.

for the old jukeboxes, there are no exposed circuits, so that won’t be an issue

Comment

I just read that somewhere years a go and it's stuck with me ever since. Im sure I read that it can go hard with age and become abrasive.
                      As I say I use the one above as recommended by Elmo in their service manuals which worked well for me for all the years I have worked on projectors.

Comment

Thanks for the info.
                        i'l check my projectors again.

Comment

Working...
                        X