Replace takeup arm clutch gear on Elmo ST1200 and ST8000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace takeup arm clutch gear on Elmo ST1200 and ST8000

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20221019_190231923.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.2 KB ID:	79415 Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20230427_202137822.jpg Views:	0 Size:	128.0 KB ID:	79416 In the process of adjusting the take-up arm spring tension on my Elmo ST800 I noticed the one-way take-up clutch gear was cracked in two places. It didn't really affect the performance however Van Eck Video Services has a 3D printed replacement gear. This gear will fit the Elmo ST1200 and the Elmo ST800 projectors. I then checked my Elmo ST 1200HD projector and noticed it too had cracks in the same gear... So I ordered two new gears.

I don't do much projector repair anymore since the medicine I'm on causes tremors in my hands. However replacing this gear was very simple and the part was a perfect fit.
    ​​​​

​​​​
    Last edited by Janice Glesser; April 29, 2023, 07:55 AM.

I believe that genuine Elmo spares are now unobtainable, so we must thanks Edwin at Van Eck for the spare parts to keep our projectors going.
    Well done, Janice, sorry about your medicine's side effects.

Comment

Hi Janice.
      If you ever need similar parts for your 16CL give me a shout, as I have a parts machine sitting here. And you are welcome to them.
      Steve.

Comment

Steve Lee thanks for the offer. If I need a part in the future I will definitely contact you.

I highly recommend if anyone has the Elmo ST 1200 or the ST 800 model projector that you check to see if that gear is cracked. It may still not affect your machine performance yet but eventually it will weaken and break. As long as we can get a replacement part now it will be well worth the investment.

Comment

Ive seen this all too often on these machines. It doesn't tend to crack right through to the teeth and Ive successfully patched it up with epoxy glue but its good to see that Van-Eck now does this part.

Comment

Did this strength the take-up wheel, so it can handle a full 1200" reel?

Comment

Does your ST1200HD handle a filled 1200" reel?
              My ST1200D never did.
              A full 800" reel was the max and even than, I sometimes had film on the ground.

Comment

Actually adjusting the spring gear next to the clutch is what controls the take-up arm. There is a paragraph in the ST1200 repair manual on how to do this. I was having trouble with my 800 ft reels but adjusting th spring gear helped.

Comment

Thank you.
                  i don't have a manual, but can you explain how I adjust it to make it stronger?​

Comment

Change the belts. These can stretch over time and weaken causing similar problems. I bought a pair of brand new ST 1200 D machines from the back of photography magazines. I believe it was 47th photo. New in the box they said. What bunch of baloney.

One machine was very noisy in the gate. The other had take up problems. The belt was so loose it would pop off the pulley.

Even after being fixed it was never right after that. Some of these issues brought me to develop what is now the Tower based system.

The Towers have NEVER failed. Nineteen years strong!

If your gears are cracked by all means take care of that, too. But remember to check the belts. Also, make note of the type of belt. Older units (Honeywell-Elmo) had round belts. The later units such as the HD had poly-V square belts.

Also recommend wearing latex gloves (the kind for handling raw food) while handling belts. Skin oil on the belts from your finger tips is never good for the belts.

As you change belts - pull snug and they will fit through other wise tight spaces. Avoid using sharp tools that could damage a new belt.

Sorry if this went off the mark - but of course we get new members here who might not know this stuff.....

CG
                    Last edited by Chip Gelmini; January 30, 2024, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Matthieu van der Sluis Elmo has specific tension guidelines that require a weight scale to measure. I did not have a scale, but I turned the screw on the spring gear tightening it which allow full take-up of a 800ft reel. I have 1200ft take-up reels but not full film reels so have not tested that.

I sent you a PM.

Comment

Did you tightened the screw at the front of this gear-wheel?

I can turn my screwdriver as much as I want, but nothing seem to happen.
                        i think my father refurbished that part ones, when I was little.

But I can unscew that gearwheel.
                        There is a small tube in the middel, with at the end 3mm screwthread.
                        I can screw it on or off, but that screw has no impact on spring .
                        I have the ST1200D so maybe they changed it laterpn?
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Matthieu van der Sluis; February 02, 2024, 10:57 AM.

Comment

As you can see on photo 2, I can thake the middle screw-bus out completely.
                          It has no control over the spring.
                          maybe I can think of something to slide between the top and the spring to give the spring more pressure, see photo 3.

or am I looking at the wrong gear-wheel?
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Matthieu van der Sluis; February 02, 2024, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Matthieu... You need to loosen The tiny grub screw on the spring adjustment collar. Push the collar to tighten the spring then tighten the grub screw to hold it in place. The manual I sent you describes this on page 8 and 9.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20240205_053616750.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.2 KB ID:	95671

​​​​​​

Comment

Thank you Janice for the ensurance.
                              I thought so, but nothing I had would fit in to grab it and unscrew.
                              So I thought I might have and earlier different solution and I did not dare to force anything.
                              Now I forced it and it worked indeed.
                              I lowered the spring and check it out tonight.

Comment

Working...
                              X