Elmo ST100 takeup reel tension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elmo ST100 takeup reel tension

I have an Elmo ST100 that appears to have very little tension (torque?) on the takeup reel. It’s (mostly) fine for playback, but upon rewinding it can get ahead of itself and start to dump film onto the table and also make for a very sloppy wind on the supply reel. Temporary fix is to use a finger to apply slight pressure on the takeup reel during rewinding to get an even wind on the supply reel. I’m guessing there’s a torque clutch that needs replacing or adjusting? BTW, all belts are brand new and have had no effect on this. I don’t have a photo right now, but it looks some sort of cork-like or old rubber material is dried out and cracked in the mechanism I’m describing as a torque clutch for the takeup reel. Is this easily fixed, or does it need professional care? I was actually going to bring this projector and my Bolex to a (rare) nearby repair shop for evaluation but I thought I’d ask here first.

If this is like the ST-800 or ST-1200 there is kind of a flat fork made out of sheet copper which leans against the rear spindle drive and gives a little friction. If you loosen the screw and give it a little twist before re-tightening it, the drag on the rear spindle can be increased, just enough to make rewind work better.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Klare View Post
      If this is like the ST-800 or ST-1200 there is kind of a flat fork made out of sheet copper which leans against the rear spindle drive and gives a little friction. If you loosen the screw and give it a little twist before re-tightening it, the drag on the rear spindle can be increased, just enough to make rewind work better.
      I'm not sure that would help with the takeup on forward projection. When projecting, I can make the takeup reel stop with the very slightest of a feather-light touch and it will take a moment to catch up. Ill have to compare that to my other projectors.

Comment

Yes,

The fork-thing is just for rewind. It does sound the clutch on your rear spindle needs some attention.

I'm not much help here because I've never had this problem, but if you search both versions of this forum (or Kevin comes on his thread), I'm sure you will get an answer.

Comment

Dave Bickford I don't see an Elmo ST100 listed in the Super8mm database. I have a K-100SM I can check the rewind assy on it... if that is the same projector you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Janice Glesser View Post
            Dave Bickford I don't see an Elmo ST100 listed in the Super8mm database. I have a K-100SM I can check the rewind assy on it... if that is the same projector you have.
            I can open it up and take a pic of the inside in a couple of days. In the meantime, here are a couple of external pics to identify the projector.
            Attached Files

Comment

This one is kind of a cool machine: it's basically a simplified ST-600 and was sold packaged with an Elmo sound camera. I'm sure many a 1970s Dad was pretty happy to find it under the tree Christmas morning!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Klare View Post
                This one is kind of a cool machine: it's basically a simplified ST-600 and was sold packaged with an Elmo sound camera. I'm sure many a 1970s Dad was pretty happy to find it under the tree Christmas morning!
                It is indeed a cool machine. Also, this model was manufactured in 1983. It’s almost “new” in the world of movie projectors.

Comment

Wow! That's late!

It's a shame I was poor and preoccupied in college in 1983: I would have loved to shoot some films with sound.

Comment

Rather rare ?
                    Spare part finder - Van Eck Video Services (van-eck.net)

Comment

Fascinating. I didn't know that traveler version existed. You learn something new every day.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Faulkner View Post
                        Fascinating. I didn't know that traveler version existed. You learn something new every day.
                        If “Mr. Elmo” was unaware of such a beast, this projector must be rare indeed! I’ll start the bidding at $1000. 😂

Comment

Very nice looking projector Dave. I love it's simplicity. Have you compared the rewind ASSY to the ST 1200? There is a service manual for the ST1200. As Steve has suggested perhaps they are close enough to have the same or similar adjustments... Although no guarantees.

Comment

So, it looks like I could adjust the nut here to apply more pressure to the spring. Of course, I’m not touching it until I get some advice from someone who is familiar with this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1535.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	80302

Comment

I like this arrangement: it's simple and common-sense.

It looks like your cork is missing some pieces.

-but even before I fixed that, I'd put a socket on that hex-nut and turn it gradually tighter while testing the effect on the spindle's torque, you know: for Science!

(Not too tight, though! this one needs some slippage.)

Comment

Working...
                              X