When Good Subtitles Go Bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Good Subtitles Go Bad

Click image for larger version  Name:	Golden Voyage box - 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	128.5 KB ID:	80438

I've had the sound/color release of Columbia's 4x200' The Golden Voyage of Sinbad for years, however this was my first time watching the B&W, silent version. This is the 4th part (Sinbad's Triumph) and the use of subtitles is well done, except for one interesting sequence.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Golden Voyage Subtitles - 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.0 KB ID:	80440 Click image for larger version  Name:	Golden Voyage Subtitles - 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.6 KB ID:	80439 Click image for larger version  Name:	Golden Voyage Subtitles - 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	150.4 KB ID:	80436

Click image for larger version  Name:	Golden Voyage Subtitles - 4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	128.6 KB ID:	80433 Click image for larger version  Name:	Golden Voyage Subtitles - 5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	104.9 KB ID:	80435 Click image for larger version  Name:	Golden Voyage Subtitles - 6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	107.0 KB ID:	80434

Click image for larger version  Name:	Golden Voyage Subtitles - 7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.0 KB ID:	80437

I'm guessing there wasn't a dictionary available at a key moment, but you'd think somewhere along the subtitle process someone might have noticed something was off?

I recall Ken Films had a number of misspellings in their cutdowns.

Well, maybe they were really trying to say "Monmouth".

You know:

-monsters from New Jersey!😉

(I'm not even going to touch the "to", "too" and "two" thing!)

Comment

Funny!

Comment

Doug?

Are you going to stripe and dub this one?

They're (not "there" or "their"!) always fun!

Comment

Steve,

Since I have sound versions of these, I'll probably pass on striping this one.

Ken Films had a problem with the word "Gorilla" in a couple of their releases. Here's Son of Kong:

Click image for larger version  Name:	SonofKong - 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.5 KB ID:	80457 Click image for larger version  Name:	SonofKong - 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	41.9 KB ID:	80455

Click image for larger version  Name:	SonofKong - 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.4 KB ID:	80456

Click image for larger version  Name:	SonofKong - 4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.9 KB ID:	80453 Click image for larger version  Name:	SonofKong - 5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	41.3 KB ID:	80454

Perhaps they felt that Kiko (Kong's son) was actually a resistance fighter on Skull Island.

Comment

Not a mistake in their subtitles, but a mistake in their catalog:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ken Films catalog 3.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	83965 Click image for larger version

Name:	Melting Man Catalog - 1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	293.0 KB
ID:	83966

"A rocket catapulted from Satan"? That's an interesting addition to the plot.

Comment

Yeahhhhh!!!!

-it's the next planet out after Juniper!

Comment

... on the south side of Uranus, ( and there's SO many juvenile jokes that I could make about Uranus, but since I act rather juvenile anyway) ...

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Klare View Post
                  it's the next planet out after Juniper!
                  Not Juniper, Jupiler

Name:	1814-large_default.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	83983

Especially as Jupiler is linked with the Réd Devils 😁

Name:	62f138ae9b0b874be9539bc6aa7f0887.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	83984

Comment

Funny stuff. Believe or not someone has written a book on the subject:

Movie Title Typos: Making Movies Better by Subtracting One Letter

In Movie Title Typos, artist Austin Light removes just one letter from a well-known movie title to inspire a surprising and hilarious visual scenario. There's Obocop (a robotic police officer works through his PTSD by playing smooth jazz), T. (a boy meets a jewelry-clad alien who pities fools), Harry Otter, The Princess and the Fro, Finding Emo, Pup Fiction, and many more. A massive viral hit when he first posted sketches of the work online (1.2 million hits in the first 6 hours), Light has created new full-color illustrations for all, with the majority of the book's content never before seen on the Web. Here is a parallel universe glimpse at could-have-been films possibly better—definitely funnier—than the originals.

Source: https://www.amazon.com/Movie-Title-T.../dp/1452149569

Name:	51u+66O499L.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	83986

Comment

Working...
                    X