Elmo GS 1200 New Bottom Tensioner.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elmo GS 1200 New Bottom Tensioner.

This is something I have been working on for some time, and would not have been possible if was not for the kindness and help from Kevin Faulkner.
    The new tensioner is designed to be fitted onto the original fixing post on the projector, and reuses the original tension spring. The roller is held in position on the shaft by two side pressure springs.

After several months of studying and experiments, playing around with different sizes of rollers I came to the conclusion that the original tensioner was an afterthought on behalf of Elmo.
    The projector runs perfectly fine on playback without the tensioner, in both magnetic and optical. The problem occurs when you try to record.
    There is about two seconds for the film to get up to speed, to take up the slack from the pinch roller, if you were attempting a quick start record this would be a problem. hence the plastic tensioner.

looking at the design of this machine, and how well it is machined and the body is cast, I believe now that they attempted to fit a roller directly to the fixing post. Then realized that it needed to be spring loaded, to be able to float up and down. When you look at the original plastic tensioner, it looks out of place in this machine. Because of its design they realized it had to be pivoted from the top, and that is why it is on that metal plate. Otherwise it would scratch the film.

The problem has been finding all of the component parts, as they are all sub miniature. These are things that you cannot pick up in a shop. There is still a little work to be done on it, as I keep finding ways on improving it.

If anybody is interested in one of these can you let me know below. So I know how many parts to order. I will wait a couple of weeks before I do so.
    They will be supplied with a new tension spring, a fixing post and hex key for fitting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230524_155057.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	81369

Name:	IMG_20230524_175733.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	81370

Name:	IMG_20230524_175752.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	81371

Steve,

I am more than interested! Thank you (and Kevin) for taking this on. I have two GS-1200s that could use new tensioners.

Comment

Hi Steve.
      I would also be interested in a couple of these.
      Well done!

Comment

Steve, I recently replaced mine with a new OEM tensioner (and spring), but I would also be interested in one of these.

Comment

I would also be interested in purchasing a tensioner for my GS1200, please!

Comment

Hello,

I would like to buy three of these please....Thank you for your work on this!

Comment

Nice job Steve and now it looks like you have your work cut out for sometime to come.

Comment

Well done Steve!. How much will you be charging for these?

Comment

Great stuff Steve, the only thing I must ask though? would the springs on either side of the roller cause a bit of drag from it rotating freely?

Comment

I started this project by looking at it in a negative way. What would happen if this part of it failed? what would this do if this part moved? and so on. I then tried to reverse engineer it, to produce something that was fool proof, to design it so under whatever circumstances, nothing than the outer edge of the rollers tire, could come in contact with the film.

I will try to explain better.
                    The roller is fitted with a centre bearing, so that the side pressure from the springs is not against the actual roller, but is on the centre hub. Allowing it to spin freely with no drag or friction. The rollers by the way are made by Sony, and were used in their auto reverse cassette decks.
                    The picture below is one that I have dissected.

Name:	IMG_20230529_140819.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	81629
                    The shaft that the roller is fitted to, is a proper threaded end steal shaft, not a threaded bolt. This also produces smoothness to the roller, and there is nothing for it to catch upon.
                    I also have chosen a longer shaft, so it was possible to suspend the roller in the middle, rather than having it up on the end.

Name:	IMG_20230529_140849.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	81630

The most labor intensive part of this has been in the design of the arm, and the 3D printing. Producing something on this scale, making sure that the stress points are strong enough to do the job. I think I am on design No 47 now.

This was never going to be about the money. I needed one of these so desperately, and the only way I was going to get one was to make one myself. Like with most things that are produced, all of the work goes in to making the first one. After this as many that is needed can be run off. It would be stupid of me, to go to all of this work and not offer them. The price of these is going to be around 5 Euros each.

I am looking into how I can sell them. If I put them up for sale on Ebay, then Ebay will insist that they are shipped with customs documents, which is crazy.
                    One of these tensioners weighs 2.5grams complete. Customs documents have to be attached to an envelope that is large enough for the paperwork eg A4.
                    The tensioner is the size of my thumbnail ! Plus, the weight of paperwork will be 10X that of the item, you can start to see the problem.

Comment

Steve thanks for that explanation, especially the part, that the springs are not against the roller, thus allowing it to rotate freely. For anyone going to replace there's, what Steve has come up with is a perfect replacement.

Comment

Hello,
                        I have been looking for an alternative to the original part for some time. This looks wonderful. Please count me in.

Comment

Working...
                        X