A new podcast episode: Shooting with Super 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new podcast episode: Shooting with Super 8

Another episode of The Humming Projector Podcast has been released, and this time I talk to Simon McConway and Mark Norton about filming with Super 8. Why is it still fascinating, and why is filming on this expensive format worth it? We talk about what kind of filming they do, preferences of equipment and thoughts about the future. Get tips about shooting on Super 8, selecting and testing a camera, adding audio and where to learn more.

You can listen to the episode on our webpage, via Spotify or your favorite podcast player.

Eivind,

Your current episode is entertaining, informative and inspiring! Simon & Mark are very knowledgeable and very passionate about filming in Super 8mm. This made me want to grab a roll of 100D, dust off my Beaulieu and get to work!

Comment

I listened to this podcast last week, and found it to be very enjoyable. It's nice to hear people talking about Ektachrome these days instead of negative stocks. There seems to be a push for shooting negative stocks, and not reversal. For me reversal is where it's at for both aesthetics, and the pleasure of projecting film. Sometimes I feel alienated on social media pages when I promote Ektachrome, and projection. I get a lot of people telling me that Super 8 today is not really about showing it the way people projected film years ago. I am always puzzled by these responses because I think shooters are missing out on the experience of using Super 8. To not see your film projected, and only on a monitor seems pointless. I mean why would I shoot film to then view it on a TV screen, makes no sense. I'll just shoot digital if I'm looking to view it this way. Well anyways the podcast was awesome, and refreshing! Hope to hear more of these kinds of podcast talking about using Ektachrome, and projection.

Comment

Thanks to both of you!

Doug: I just learned that you indeed know how to use a camera 😉 Did you ever use film at work?

Shane: I am thinking the same as you. I think they miss out on much of the fun. But each must do what they prefer, I guess. I am sure Ektachrome will be part of another episode some time 😊

Comment

Eivind,

While now my work is in digital formats, as a cinematographer I've shot 35mm, 16mm & Super 8mm. I greatly enjoyed doing a project at CNN where I got to use my Bauer S 715 XL. Occasionally the Beaulieu 5008 S has also joined in on the fun.
          When I first made the transition from film to video, I had to break myself of the habit of stopping the camera right after a shot in order to conserve footage!

Comment

Even used Super 8 for work! That's awesome! Quite a bit of a difference compared to 35mm in regards to weight and size. I have a Bauer C104 that my parents bought back in the day.

Here it is with my son in front shot several years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Eivind Mork View Post
              Thanks to both of you!

Doug: I just learned that you indeed know how to use a camera 😉 Did you ever use film at work?

Shane: I am thinking the same as you. I think they miss out on much of the fun. But each must do what they prefer, I guess. I am sure Ektachrome will be part of another episode some time 😊
              I agree, they do miss out on the fun of shooting Super 8! I once had a conversation with a young lady who was just getting into shooting Super 8. I talked about viewing my home movies via a projector, etc. She then responded and said, "What is a projector"? I about fell out of my chair, LOL. I thought how sad it was this young girl had no idea what a projector was, or that Super 8 was shot then viewed this way for decades, and still was. I then realized the push of negative stocks over the last decade has all but killed the original intent of shooting film, and then using a projector. Since this conversation it's been my mission to educate young people about the thrills of using films like Ektachrome, and then threading onto a projector. But, I am of course in the minority here with most Super 8 shooters today it seems.

Comment

Totally agree with your comments Shane, Its pointless to go to the cost and shoot film and not show it on a actual film projector. I have not seen one example, of where a film transfer to digital, looks anywhere as good as using it to show the taken results on a film projector. All the films that were donated to the heritage park where I was asked to sort out, finally after cleaning and splicing etc really do look amazing projected onto a screen, they just seem to come alive, the color, the look, and so on. I have been amazed over the last few years how good old Standard 8mm Kodachrome still looks. I can understand folk doing a transfer to disc or memory card if they no longer have a projector, but I also say, if you want to see them properly, they need to find a film projector and screen, wait until its dark, then watch the magic of those long ago images come alive once again.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham Ritchie View Post
                  Totally agree with your comments Shane, Its pointless to go to the cost and shoot film and not show it on a actual film projector. I have not seen one example, of where a film transfer to digital, looks anywhere as good as using it to show the taken results on a film projector. All the films that were donated to the heritage park where I was asked to sort out, finally after cleaning and splicing etc really do look amazing projected onto a screen, they just seem to come alive, the color, the look, and so on. I have been amazed over the last few years how good old Standard 8mm Kodachrome still looks. I can understand folk doing a transfer to disc or memory card if they no longer have a projector, but I also say, if you want to see them properly, they need to find a film projector and screen, wait until its dark, then watch the magic of those long ago images come alive once again.
                  Well said Graham! I agree, the real magic is seeing those films projected, and on a quality machine. As you mentioned, digital transfers are good for people not wanting to use a projector, or sharing with family members who live in different locations. But, I must confess I am a purist and project every time I get the chance. There's just something magical about seeing the original films on screen. The colors, sharpness, contrast, everything just pops! One thing I've noticed with the latest negative stocks is the loss of color, and sharpness. There's just something unpleasant about how these films look on a computer screen. Even color reversal film like Ektachrome looses it's magic in the digital world. So many shooters are missing out!

Comment

Working...
                  X